tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 08 22:28:34 1995

Re: }} Special Klingon Cards

Tue, 8 Aug 1995, ghItlh Soqra'tIS:

> (vIghItlhmeH veqlargh mura'ta'... Damn! Now I'm second guessing myself....
> what I'm TRYING to say is "The veqlargh ordered me to write that", someone
> correct me please, (*sigh* it's no fun if you can't get it correctly!))
>
> [Soqra'tIS shuffles off down the hall muttering "What's the bloody
> Object... What's the bloody Object... ? The men in white coats jump out of
> an adjacent hall way and give Soqra'tIS a nice new white sports coat with
> wrap around sleeves..... ]

"Fek'lhr" is the subject and "order" is the verb.  The reason you're
probably confused is that this is apparently an example of a ditransitive
construction: in Klingon, the verb has two objects.

I would avoid this thorny issue (Okrand has not explained how to handle
ditransitive verbs fully) and write the sentence as a quote:
yIghItlh mura'pu' veqlargh.  ("Write it," Fek'lhr ordered me.) or
mura'pu' veqlargh yIghItlh.  (Fek'lhr ordered me, "Write it!")

(See p.67 on how to do quotes.)

> Soqra'tIS           [email protected]

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level