tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 08 09:18:06 1995

Re: Re[4]: }}} Dialects (was:...

>From: Riku Anttila <[email protected]>
>Date: Tue, 8 Aug 1995 10:17:48 +0300 (EET DST)

>> FWIW, the Hamlet translation calls the King "ta'" and the Queen "ta'be'".
>> Yes, we know it sounds like "didn't accomplish."  Life's rough.

>So, why did you decide not to use voDleH?

Because if we'd used voDleH you'd have asked why we didn't use ta'.

It's a choice; you have to go one way or another.  And in the speech, both
are used, much as many languages use synonyms to break up the monotony.
But in the stage instructions, etc, we use ta'.

>Besides, I think there's a difference between king and emperor, so how
>about che'wI'?

>..or qumwI' and ghojmoq?

Because only "ta'" indicates royalty.  The distinction between "King" and
"Emperor" is a very artificial one.  It's basically because some King
somewhere decided that "Emperor" sounded better.  In what way is a King not
an Emperor, or an Emperor not a king?

A King is certainly not a governor; I'd say a King is "less" a governor
than he is an Emperor.  And there's no way a Queen is a governess.  The
word "governess" in English doesn't mean a female governor (the Governor of
my state is a woman, and she is Governor Whitman, not governess).  A
governess is a woman who is hired to take care of the children; a nurse or
a nanny.

~mark

Back to archive top level