tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 07 23:37:35 1995

Re: }} -mo' and N1's N2

Too much mail? Try the [email protected] version of this list!
charghwI' writes:
>> QIt Hergh QaywI' yInob nom ra' Qel.
>
>The doctor quickly ordered, "Slowly give me a hypo!"

Yes.  My proposal permits this ambiguity; since you reject my proposal you
will translate it as you do.  Most people will.  Because of that, I would
not use my proposed effect of {-wI'} to turn "complex" sentences into
nouns.  Since I can avoid ambiguity by translating another way, I will do
so.

>>{V-wI'} is equivalent to {V-bogh vay'}:
>
>It is not an exact equivalence. {V-wI'} is a subset of {V-bogh
>vay'}. The latter can take adverbials and objects. The former
>cannot. That is because the latter is a relative clause while
>the former is a nominalized verb. There is a fundamental
>difference between the options available to a clause and those
>available to a single word.

Were it not for the {N V-wI'} examples, I would agree.  But because TKD
calls N-N the "Klingon possessive construction" and I don't think
"radiation's changer" makes sense as a "possessive" or even as a
"genitive", I think my proposed explanation is appropriate.

>> {QIt Hergh Qaybogh jan'e' yInob.}  Do you have any problems with this?
>
>No.

(Aha!  You fell for my clever trap!)  This sentence has the same ambiguity
as {QIt Hergh QaywI' yInob} would if {-wI'} worked the way I propose, so my
so-called extension of the language apparently isn't the major ambiguity
source you keep claiming it is.

>> {nom pumtaHvIS nagh jIghItlh.}
>
>Interesting that you chose to use a dependent clause that does
>not have a Type 9 suffix at all to show how ambiguous
>adverbials are with verbs with Type 9 suffixes...

Oops!  Make that {nom pummo' nagh jIghItlh} and ignore my blush.

>Still, I take your argument seriously and you do have a point.
>Meanwhile, MY point is that we don't need yet another way to
>make the word order ambiguous. We really don't gain nearly as
>much as we lose.

Poetry nearly always benefits from increased flexibility, so maybe in
addition to preventing the need to extend the N-N construction, we also
gain increased expressiveness.  This is at the cost of increased POTENTIAL
for ambiguity.

>Still, the point about adverbials is that you have no
>justification for applying them to nominalized verbs. Face it,
>you are applying an adverbial to a NOUN. Once a verb gets
>{-wI'} applied to it, that word is no longer a verb. It is a
>noun, and if you try to apply an adverbial to it, you are
>simply wrong.
>
>Deal with it.

On the face of it, you're absolutely correct.  TKD does consistently say
that {-wI'} turns verbs into nouns.  However, I HAVE found at least an
implication that the verb MAY have an object!  Section 3.2.2, page 20,
mentions

TKD> ...{baHwI'} "gunner", which consists of the verb
TKD> {baH} "fire (a torpedo)" plus {-wI'} "one who does."
TKD> Thus {baHwI'} is literally "one who fires [a torpedo]."

(I use braces where TKD has boldface, and quotes instead of italics.)

The implied object occurs in both the Klingon and the English.  So there's
at least a teeny bit of canon support for my proposal.  (Hah!)

>First of all, your explanation doesn't really help anything.
>The Noun-noun construction does a fine job of describing {HoS
>lIngwI'}.

I would like to see a better explanation of how N-N describes {HoS lIngwI}.
The article in HolQeD 3:3 by d'Armond Speers dismisses the two troublesome
examples with "special remarks" about how "...[{Hergh QaywI'}'s] derivation
is clearly 'thing which transfers medicine'... even though the solution is
not immediately evident in either the translation or even the
straightforward interpretation of this example I believe that it poses no
difficulty for the CS structure."  I am afraid this so-called explanation
doesn't quite help me to understand WHY he believes this.

>Secondly, it opens the door to your misuse of adverbials.

If this were MY language :-), I'd forbid adverbials in nominalized
sentences, perhaps limiting them to sentences with an implied third-person
subject and an optional object, but I would permit the nominalized
sentences in the first place.

For the benefit of anyone who has tuned in late, I will restate my
position.  Certain apparent noun-noun phrases in canon are of the form
{noun verb-wI'}.  The way I interpret the noun-noun construction, these
phrases exceed the reasonable bounds of "possession."  I propose that the
type 9 verb suffix {-wI'} actually operates on sentences rather than on
verbs alone.  It simply makes more sense to me to state that {woj choHwI'}
is a noun which means "thing which changes radiation" instead of a "changer
that 'belongs to' radiation".

 -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level