tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 05 19:13:08 1995

Re: }} -mo' and N1's N2

On Sat, 5 Aug 1995, Alan Anderson wrote:
> Come on, people.  Is this to be simply a "charghwI'/ghunchu'wI' debate"?
> Let's get some more critical thought in here.

I'm enjoying learning from your "fight".  It is a good battle and it
shows that both of you are great "Hol vaj".  However, for myself, I'm not
ready to chose sides.  This is a difficult topic and I learn something
new with each post.  You two are doing well enough without outside help.
However, when I do have a point to make I will make it, as you will see
below.

> Oh?  {nom pumtaHvIS nagh jIghItlh.}  TKD 5.4: Adverbials "...usually come
> at the beginning of a sentence...." Is the rock falling quickly, or do I
> write quickly?

TKD 6.7 (p.179): "the adverbial precedes the object-verb-noun
construction."  Reading that in context it is pretty clear to me that
{nom pumtaHvIS nagh jIghItlh} = I write as the rock quickly falls.
and
{pumtaHvIS nagh nom jIghItlh} = I write quickly as the rock falls.

It turns out that -wI' is unique in this since the verb is no longer a
verb in the sentence and so can still confuse the adverb.  Doesn't make
it right or wrong, but it does change your argument.

janSIy

Back to archive top level