tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 04 16:50:45 1995

Re: Re[4]: }}} Dialects (was:...

>From: [email protected]
>Date: Fri, 04 Aug 95 12:32:27 EST

>On Fri, 4 Aug 1995 William H. Martin wrote:

>>Here, I'd tend to err on the conservative side. I'd use the
>>words in TKD that combine {be'} with another noun to indicate
>>female, and for anything else, I'd go for {be' ghaHbogh
>>SuvwI'}. It avoids the potentially lethal slip of the tongue,
>>confusing suffix sequence and calling someone a Suvbe'wI'.

>Ew, yuck.  <fighter (she) which be a female>?  I thought I spoke bad English.

Yah... I don't like "ghaHbogh" either and try to avoid it.  I usually can
deal with compounds made with "be'"

>As to <be'SuvwI'>.  Do you say "female fighter" or "fighter female"?
>Unfortunately Dr. Okrand goes both ways for putting "male" or "female" with
>another word. (ie sister & brother vs. daughter & son)  Following p.19 of TKD, I
>made a compound noun of "female fighter".  I used <be'SuvwI'>.  I'd also use
><be'vaj> for female warrior.  <vajbe'> sounds like "in that case not."

Heh.  One Klingonist calls herself "wIghbe'" with an almost immediate
footnote that wIgh is a NOUN.  If you think about it, compounds are about
the same in structure as N-N constructions, so a "SuvwI'be'" is a kind of
"be'", while a "be'SuvwI'" is a kind of "SuvwI'".  For what that's worth.

~mark

Back to archive top level