tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 03 20:05:31 1995

Re: }} KLBC!!!

On Wed, 2 Aug 1995, Alan Anderson wrote:

> Chris Nielsen writes:
> >...So virtually nothing will translate without tedious thought
> >and re-writing.  What a bummer!
>
> I don't consider it tedious at all.  I've gotten pretty good at "thinking
> in Klingon" and putting ideas in a form which are readily represented using
> the grammar at our disposal.  I did go through a phase of "re-writing"
> where I actually rearranged the words and phrases into approximately
> Klingon order, which I could translate nearly word-for-word.  I have since
> given that up in favor of "re-thinking" where I don't have to do the
> intermediate step of explicitly arranging the words in order to identify
> the ideas.  I've got enough sample clauses floating around in my head now
> for me to plug in the right words without having to consult the dictionary
> about grammar.  I do still need help (lots of it) with the vocabulary, but
> that's what computers are for, right?

I suppose that once I've had a little practise it'll all make much more
sense.  Right now I am having trouble translating some things people are
saying - sometimes I don't know why a particular word or sentence order
was used, or it just doesn't make sense (probably my poor translation
skills showing themselves here).  Having learned a little French in 5th
form it's a little easier, but still an uphill battle.

I haven't dropped off yet (nor do I plan to) so one day I'll be able to
understand some of the lunatic rantings going on in Klingon that float
around this list :)

I've sent off my money to Lawrence for KLI membership so I'll most likely
be around for a while to come.

BTW, I've got a TKD - how does having a computer help?

> When I began, I considered the concentrated effort I had to expend to be a
> mental workout, not tedium.  I'm in this for the exercise!

True - I probably chose my words badly - I do not really consider it
tedium, just a struggle at the moment.

Regards

Chris

P.S. I know there is no word for 'thank you' but is there any way at all
of showing appreciation?  Apart from majQa'?

Back to archive top level