tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 02 17:44:14 1995

Re: Re[2]: }} KLBC: Life is like...

According to Mark E. Shoulson:

> >Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 23:27:53 -0500
> >From: [email protected] (Alan Anderson)
>
> >ghItlh charghwI':
> >> [lots of sneaky derivation omitted]
> >> So, perhaps legh'eghmoHlu'wI' would mean
> >> "thing that makes one see ones self". A mirror.

> >{X legh'eghmoHlu'} "[something] causes X to see him/herself" -- I'm lost.
> >Something about {-moHlu'} just doesn't click.
> >{legh'eghmoHlu'wI'} "thing which causes one to see oneself" -- follows
> >nicely from the previous sentence, but I'm not sure why that sentence is
> >correct.  Does anybody have any helpful explanations?
>
> It doesn't follow for me either.  "-lu'" means that the subject of this
> verb is indefinite.  "-wI'" means that the subject of this verb is the
> thing we're talking about (ghunwI' says there's some programming going on,
> and we want to deal with the thing doing the programming as a noun:
> programmer).  "-lu'wI'" seems to be trying to do two things at once: We
> want to talk about the thing that's doing this verb... oh, and that sthing
> is indefinite, so we're not mentioning it."  Trying to have the 'Iwchab and
> eat it too.

I don't think it is that complicated. {-lu'} changes the roles
of subject and object.

legh 		He sees.
leghwI'		One who sees.
leghlu'		He is seen. One sees him.
leghlu'wI'	One who is seen. One whom one sees.
legh'egh	He sees himself.
legh'eghwI'	One who sees himself.

leghmoH		It causes him to see.
leghmoHwI'	Thing that causes him to see
leghmoHlu'	It causes him to be seen.
leghmoHlu'wI'	thing that causes him to be seen
legh'eghmoHlu'	It causes him to see himself.
legh'eghmoHlu'wI'	thing that causes him to see himself

> I guess maybe charghwI' is using the "-lu'" here apply to the "legh'egh"
> part, constructing it thusly:
>
> "legh'egh X": X sees self.
> "legh'eghlu'": something indefinite sees self.
> "legh'eghlu' X" + "-moH Y" would mean "Y causes that (legh'egh X)", but
> because of suffix ordering the "-moH" actually comes before "-lu'"
>
> and so from there.

Yep.

> It's pretty hairy; too much so to be easy to follow.
>
> ~mark

sigh

charghwI'
--