tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 30 02:42:29 1995

Re: Spring Issue of HolQeD

On Sat, 29 Apr 1995 23:21:38 -0400, [email protected] said:
> 	1. jIH po' law SoH po' puS.  My judgement is that this should
>be jIpo' law' bIpo' puS.  [...]  "I am an expert" is jIpo' *not* jIH po'.
>And similiarly you are an expert is bIpo', *not* SoH po'.

True, but equally `the commander/officer is bold' is {jaq la'/yaS},
yet in the comparative construction {la'/yaS} comes before {jaq}.
So this construction has its own idiosyncratic syntax.  {jIpo'}
and {bIpo'} stand for {po' jIH/SoH}, not for {jIH/SoH po'}.

> 	3. junneSghach.  I hope none of you are seriously considering
>using this.  In TKD 4.2.8 (-neS) is only used when addressing a
>superior.  To address someone, to speak directly tohim or her requires
>a second person prefix, (qa, cho, bI, bo etc.).

Not at all.  A second person prefix means that the subject is the same
as the addressee.  {-neS} means that the addressee is a social superior,
regardless of who or what is the subject.

> 	4. Ace; jenwI'.  According to TKD page 64, -wI' is defined as
>"one who is" when used with stative verbs.  Thus jenwI' would be
>defined as "one who is high, a high person" not a high card.

As in {So'wI'} `cloaking device' (`a thing which cloaks')?

But I agree that {jenwI'} doesn't sound like `ace'; there are many
high cards, whether or not the ace is one of them.

--'Iwvan

--
`"Haud oan there a meenit," says the king tae Joseph, "I've been thinkin."'
Ivan A Derzhanski ([email protected])    (J Stuart, _Auld Testament Tales_)

Back to archive top level