tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 29 22:25:24 1995

Re: Spring Issue of HolQeD

Glad to see you finally on the net, Glen.

On Sat, 29 Apr 1995 [email protected] wrote:
> 1. jIH po' law SoH po' puS.  My judgement is that this should be jIpo'
> law' bIpo' puS.  Stative verbs can only be used as adjectives when they
> modify *nouns* (TKD 4.4) not to modify *pronouns*.

Comparing first and second persons certainly poses a problem.  On the one
hand, we are told that the noun must be stated and we are given examples
which only use verbs with no prefix.  On the other hand, we know that
verbs with a first or second person subject or object take a prefix and
that pronouns are only to be used "for emphasis or added clarity" (TKD,
p.52).  This is conflicting information and it's hard to say just how it
should be done.  Either the "comparative formula" cannot be used for these
comparisons or one of the two sections from TKD are wrong.  We all seem
to assume that one of the two sections must be wrong.  So...

Given that the "comparative formula" does not follow standard grammatic
rules I am more likely to also ignore the stated grammar rules here as
well.  Without further comment from Marc Okrand, I would support {jIH po'
law' SoH po' puS}.

What are everyone's opinions one the following short dialog:
- 'Iv Dalegh
- SoH

> 4. Ace; jenwI'.  According to TKD page 64, -wI' is defined as "one who
> is" when used with stative verbs.  Thus jenwI' would be defined as "one
> who is high, a high person" not a high card.  Anyway in many card games
> the ace is *not* the high card.  Better is simply wa' since ace is
> simply Number One.

I agree that the Ace is not necessarily always the "High Card" and thus
should simply be called, wa'.  But jenwI' works fine for "High Card" when
you need to state which card will be high in your deal.  As stated on
both pages 44 and 19 of TKD, -wI' can mean "thing which does".  I
couldn't find any specific reference to using it with stative verbs.
Therefore I read jenwI' in this context as, "thing which does be high" or
"high one".  Although jenbogh *card* (I can't do the translation because I'm
not sure where I've placed my latest issue at the moment) would work just
as well.

janSIy

Back to archive top level