tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 26 03:58:17 1995

Re: KLBC: Comparatives

jabbI'IDwIj yIlaD

> > I am as big as you.
> > machHa'ghachlIj rap machHa'ghachwIj
>
> Another way you could say it is:  {bItIn 'ej jItIn je} or {bItIn 'ej jIrap}.

Hmm... If all people taller than, say, 6 ft
were considered 'big', and if one of us was
6 ft 4, the other one 6 ft 2 {bItIn 'ej jItIn
je} would still be true, while {machHa'ghachlIj
rap machHa'ghachwIj} wouldn't - though I agree
it doesn't look nice.

{bItIn 'ej jIrap} I would read as (after some
translating tlh->e->german->e :) "you are big
but I am equal" ? I think the expression "I'm the
same" in the sense of "me too" is something
different - or am I completely mistaken?

> > I am two years older than you.
> > cha' DIS jIH qan law' SoH qan puS
>
> Perhaps a slightly less ambiguous way to say it is:
> bIboghpa' qaStaHvIS cha' DIS jIbogh.

?? could you please analyze this for me?

can "two years" really "happen" or "occur"?

> > You are less old than me.
> > QupHa'ghachlIj puS law' QupHa'ghachwIj puS puS
> > Your-un-young-ness is fewer than my-un-young-ness
>
> To me this doesn't perfectly solve the "less X than" question, I simply
> see this as "my oldness is more few than your oldness".  (It doesn't
> sound very clear to me.)

what else is 'less' but 'more few'?
Of course it isn't very nice with all that
-Ha'ghach stuff..

> yoDtargh

			Marc Doychlangan

Marc Ruehlaender	[email protected]
Universitaet des Saarlandes, Saarbruecken, Germany