tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 19 08:29:08 1995

Re: rop puqloDwI'

According to R.B Franklin:

> On Tue, 18 Apr 1995, Alan Anderson wrote:
> > puqpu' latlh ropchoHbe'meH juH mejbe' 'ej DuSaQ Suchbe'.
>
> {puqpu' latlh} would mean "the childrens' other one".  If you want to say
> "the other children", it would be {latlh puqpu'}.

Think about this again. {puqpu' latlh} means "the children's
another one" or "another one of the children". This is probably
what he wanted. {latlh puqpu'} means "children of another one"
or "another one's children", which means children of a
different parent. That may also be what he meant, but that is
not obvious.

What *I* would have said would be {puqpu' latlhpu'}. "Other
ones of the children."

This is all weird enough that it belongs on at least the second
tier of questions for Okrand to clarify. The problem is that
{latlh} is a noun and we all want to use it as an adjective.

> yoDtargh

charghwI'
--

 \___