tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 14 13:33:19 1995

Re: Langauge Updates??

On Fri, 14 Apr 1995, Karl Dyson wrote:

> > If you're uncomfortable with using Qapla' as a farewell, then make up your
> > own:
> > tugh maghomchuqqa'jaj.  QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj.  reH DujlIj yIvoq.
> > romulusnganpu'vaD yIjatlhQo'.

> Oh no...erm...I am a beginner...please could you translate this for me...as
> I haven't got enough lifetime left to get through the second word :)

I hope you don't die soon.  {{;-)

tugh maghomchuqqa'jaj  (May we meet each other again soon.)

tugh	soon (adv)

ma-	we, no object
ghom	meet, encounter, assemble, rendezvous (v)
-chuq	one another, each other
-qa'	resume, do again
-jaj	may

---
QuvlIjDaq yIH tu'be'lu'jaj. ("May your coordinates be free of tribbles")
(PK tape) (Literally:  May one not find a tribble at your coordinates)

Quv	coordinates (n)
-lIj	your
-Daq	locative (at, in, on, etc.)

yIH	tribble (n)

tu'	discover, find, observe, notice (v)
-be'	not
-lu'	indefinite subject (one, someone, something)
-jaj	may

---
reH DujlIj yIvoq.  (Always trust your instincts)

reH	always (adv)

Duj	instincts (n)
-lIj	your

yI-	imperative prefix  Subj: you  Obj: he/she/it
voq	trust, have faith in (v)

As a side note, I noticed an apparent mistake in TKD, p. 171.  It
translates "Always trust your instincts" as {Duj tIvoqtaH}
({-taH} continuous).  Sec. 3.3.2. says inherently plural nouns should
receive singular verb prefixes, so it seems to me that {tI-} in the
example on p. 171 should probably be {yI-} i.e. Duj yIvoqtaH.

----
romuluSnganpu'vaD yIjatlhQo'.  (Don't talk to Romulans)

romuluSngan  Romulan (n) (compound noun from {romuluS} (Romulus) + {ngan}
             (inhabitant))
-pu'	plural (for sentient beings)
-vaD	for, intended for, to (indirect object)

yI-	imperative prefix  Subj: you  Obj: none
jatlh	speak, say (v)
-Qo'	don't

> > rIn jabbI'IDvam
> Data transmition finished???

(This data transmission is finished.)
As I mentioned before, Klingons usually dispense with polite social
phrases and simply state the facts.

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level