tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 13 08:26:24 1995

Re: copyrights

> What's the legal status of the Klingon language word lists as presented in
> Okrand's TKD?  May they be copied and used in other works?  (For example, an
> online dictionary or automated translation program.)  I know that telephone
> directories' contents are considered "public domain" information, and only
> the formatting of an English-Spanish dictionary is protected by copyright, but
> what about tlhIngan Hol?  Is it a "work of fiction" or what?  Mr. Okrand can't
> prohibit people from USING the words, but should he have to give permission
> for the translation lists to be copied and distributed?

> Alan Anderson

Actually, I believe that Paramount actually owns the copyright on TKD (though
Okrand does receive royalties). It is a far cry from public domain. Perhaps more
to the point, Paramount is very protective not only of those things which it
owns, but which they want people to believe they own.  For example, although the
word "Klingon" is not trademarked (or it wasn't until last January, and there
only for model ships), Paramount pursues uses of the word by unlicensed
individuals and groups, and sends them cease and desist letters.

So, back to your question.  You cannot distribute copies of the TKD, or even
unreasonably large sections of it.  That would violate the copyright.  Paramount
could claim that you are causing them to lose money by giving away the product
which they have a right to sell.  And they'd be right.  That's the whole point
of a copyright, to protect the owners of the copyright from distribution of
their materials.

I would feel the same way if someone started photocopying issues of HolQeD and
giving them away or selling them at conventions.  HolQeD is copyrighted by the
KLI.

One curious exception involves type faces.  Under US law, type faces are not
copyrightable (although the names of a type face can be trademarked). Ask Will
or d'Armand about the time we were at a Star Trek convention in Virginia and
they found a dealer selling the fonts from the KLI font disk!  We were able to
stop this (at least for the duration of the con) because the people hadn't even
bothered removing my name from where it was encoded into a character of the
font.

Lawrence

:: Dr Lawrence M Schoen, Director   :: The KLI is a nonprofit ::
:: The Klingon Language Institute   :: tax exempt corporation ::
:: POB 634, Flourtown, PA 19031 USA :: DaH HuchlIj'e' ghonob  ::
::  [email protected]  ::  [email protected]  :::  215/836-4955  ::

Back to archive top level