tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 12 09:49:00 1995

Re: Relative sentences

According to William H. Martin:
> > Dujchaj lu'avmeH HoD beqpu'Daj je pu'Hom'e' lulo'be'bogh vISuq 'e' vItlhobta'.

After pointing out why I don't like this, I failed to offer an
alternative, so I revisit it. In doing so, I have a revellation.

Dujchaj lu''avmeH HoD beqpu'Daj je pu'Hom lulo'nISbe'bogh vISuq
vItlhobta'.

As I see it, a {-meH} clause implies {-nIS} on the main verb.
Stop here and think about that.

So the problem is whether the negation applied to the main verb
should be applied to the root or to the {-nIS}. If we make the
{-nIS} explicit, the grammar makes this simple, and once again,
Klingon expresses the thought more clearly than English.

charghwI'
--

 \___
 o_/ \