tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 29 07:46:26 1994

pongmey

>From: Heidi Wessman <[email protected]>
>Date: Wed, 29 Jun 1994 13:38:51 -0600 (MDT)

Sorry, I'm going to spend more time critiquing your grammar than answering
your question.  This is my job.  Nothing personal, and I'm glad you chose
to write in Klingon!

>jangmey vIneH.

I don't see "jang" listed as a noun anywhere, so "?jangmey" may or may not
be correct.  However, you are in the company of Glen Proechel (at least)
who maintains that verbs may be used as nouns with no marking, if you feel
like it.  However, most of this list isn't in complete agreement with him.
Still, I'm not sure if the question was ever finally answered.

>tlhInganvaD'e' jIpongeghnIS'a'?  <Rihannha> jIH.  'ach tlhInganpongpu'wIj
>vIghaj.

You can't have both "-vaD" and "-'e'" on the same noun, they're both type 5
suffixes.  I'm also not sure what either really adds.  "tlhInganvaD" means
"for/to the Klingon" and, well, the meaning loses something from there on.
As has been pointed out, there's a typo in the dictionary: the "-self"
suffix is actually "-'egh", not "-egh".  Minor point.  I suppose you could
say it as "jIpong'eghmeH tlhIngan Hol pong vIlo'nIS'a'?".

ghobe'; pagh'e' Data'nISqu'.  tlhIngan Hol pongmey lo' 'e' luparHa'law'
nuvpu' law', 'ach wa' Dalo'nISqu'be'.

I'm pretty lost trying to make sense of tlhInganpongpu'wIj.  Do you mean
the "-pu'" to be a plural marker?  For non-speaking nouns (like names), the
pluralizer is "-mey".  Also, while I don't think this is as important as
some others do, it seems a little more intuitive not to make a compound
word out of "tlhIngan pong" (klingon's name, by extension name as used by
Klingons and thus in Klingon).

><Ael> vIponglaH. <winged> mugh.  'ach mu'ghomDaq <winged> vInejbe'
>"puvwI'" vInej  'ach vIparlaw'Ha'...

"I can name Ael"?  OK, granted, the business about calling someone
something is a tough nut, one we worked hard on already, since it seems to
require two objects and Klingon uses only one.

<winged> DanejlaHbej, 'ach Datu'qu'be'! :-).

It should be "vIparHa'law'.  "-Ha'" always follows right after the verb,
according to section 4.3

><mundanely> <Heidi> vIpong.  'ej "chuQun" mugh Heidi.  vIparHa'.

qabbe'.

>tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh'e' pupbe'

See ongoing discussion for how to handle things like this.  You can't put
"-'e'" on "vIjatlh"; it's a vernb and "-'e'" is a noun suffix.  Nor will I
buy that it's the pronoun "'e'", since that's used to make a sentence the
*object* of a verb, not the subject (as here).  We're coming to grips with
the fact that we have no sentence-as-subject construction, and so we use
things like "-DI'" to get

tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhDI' jIpupbe'

or

tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhDI' pupbe' SoQ.

or some such.  Compare the phrase from the tape, "De' lI' Sovlu'DI' chaq
Do'Ha'".

>Heidi Wessman/Ael t'Arrilaiu
>Klingon Studies Major  ;)

~mark