tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 29 03:42:25 1994

Why Klingon Poetry Doesn't Have To Rhyme

Poetry is defined by rhythm and patterns.  While rhyming is the most
commonly recognized poetry pattern, it is not the only one.  A famous
example of non-rhyming is the 5-7-5 syllable pattern of Haiku.  Other
poetry patterns can be in the meanings of the words.  "The Highwayman" is
a good example.  I can't remember the lines exactly, but it goes something
like, "She combs her hair by moonlight, <something else> by moonlight, she
waits for him by moonlight..."  But the word pattern "By moonlight"
creates a large rhythmic flow.  And, this poem had rhyme and meter also.

Due to the limited phenomic combinations, it is most difficult to write
feel-good poetry and have it rhyme.  However, to create specific rhythms
in syllables, (Obj.2syl, vrb.3syl, sub.2syl) or in alliteration
(DujDajDaq), I believe, is a better form for klingon poetry than rhyming.

Gimme some time, and I'll write some nice-flowing poetry.

Heidi Wessman
(kka Ael t'Arrilaiu, Klingon Studies Major)

Back to archive top level