tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 27 04:08:01 1994

KLBC (old): SaQum

>From: "William H. Martin" <[email protected]>
>Date: Mon, 27 Jun 94 15:24:31 EDT

>According to HoD trI'Qal:
>>
>> Lisa Stappvo':
>>

>> >              tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh 'a vIQaQbe'
>>
>> Well, let's look:
>>
>> Your first line comes out: "I speak Klingon, but I am not
>good it."...

>> This would likely have to be re-worded somehow--but I
>> beleive the suggestion I gave above would be understood by
>> just about anyone.)  That would be the verb prefix jI-:

>> 	tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh 'a jIQaQbe'
>>
>> Another possibility would be to say:
>>
>> 	tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh 'a wej jIQaQ
>> 	"I speak Klingon, but I am not yet good."

>And just for the hell of it, charghwI' offers something
>COMPLETELY different:

>tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhmeH jIpo'qu'be'.

>"For the purpose that I speak Klingon, I am not very skilled."

>It just seems a little more to the point.

I don't know, it doesn't work too well for me.  "I'm not very skilled in
order to speak Klingon"?  Sounds like not being skilled is a prerequisite
to speaking Klingon!  Like skilled people can't do it.  I think "-DI'" is
more appropriate here, really.

tlhIngan Hol vIjatlhDI', jIpo'qu'be'.

"When I speak Klingon, I'm not very skilled."

I suppose you could also do

tlhIngan Hol vIjatlh 'e' vInIDDI', jIpo'qu'be'.

"When I try to speak Klingon, I am not very skilled."

I suppose one could use "-taHvIS" here as well, but the connoted
relationship implied by "-DI'" works better.

>charghwI'

~mark

Back to archive top level