tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 23 01:28:45 1994

tlhInganpu' DenIbnganpu' je

>According to Richard Kennaway:
>>

>> Dictionary inconsistency alert: is the word for "Deneb" "DenIb" (as in the
>> K-E section) or "DenIbya'" (as in the E-K section)?  And can "Qatlh" on
its
>> own mean "slime devil", or only "difficult"?

>We can only presume that either is okay. As for Qatlh, you must
>remember that DenIbya Qatlh is not a literal translation of the
>words "Denibian Slime Devil". It is the Klingon term for the
>animal referred to in Fed Standard as "Denibian Slime Devil".
>In all likelihood, Klingons are literally calling them
>"Difficult Denibians". Of course, if faced with one, a Klingon
>would naturally be attracted to have sport with the beasts, and
>being rather tenacious, they would respectfully be referred to
>as "difficult". Slime would not be so significant a feature
>that we would necessarily refer to it at all. After all, a
>targ's face tends to be rather mucoid...

>charghwI'
>---
>muneH "Paramount", 'ach wej Sov chaH

OR, perhaps the Denebian name for this organism becomes {Qatlh} in Klingon
phonology, and that word serves as a homophone for {Qatlh} as in {ngeDHa'}.
Still, the conservative thing to do is always to use the full name, {DenIbya'
Qatlh}. Altho, {Qatlh} as a noun alone cannot be condemned.

Qatlh Qatlh HoHlu'meH mIw

Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

Back to archive top level