tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 20 06:26:55 1994

Re: to have or not to have an object

According to [email protected]:

> I've been pondering the idea, so here goes.
>
> Many verbs in TKD are translated by English verbs which can be used
> transitively or intransitively. As a result, the transitivity of many Klingon
> verbs is left a mystery. It is doubtful that Klingon verbs can be used both
> ways, due to formations that use suffixes like {-moH} which has no equivalent
> in modern English.
> I am proposing that a group of Klingonists go thru the list of verbs whose
> transitivity is undeterminable by only the translation in the dictionary
> proper section of TKD, and apply a label of 'transitive' or 'intransitive' to
> each one...
> In our
> labeling of each verb, we should try to use as much canonical evidence as
> possible.

> This project is imesho worthwhile to the KLI and the study of tlhIngan Hol.
> It would eliminate much needless debating if someone could just look at the
> consensus and say, "Well, the KVTL (or whatever acronym we give the project)
> has already determined that {vIH} is intransitive..."
>
> jInmolvamvaD vuD vISovchoHmeH HIjang tlhIH
>

> Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

This was intended to be one of the functions of my Annotated
Klingon Dictionary, though that project has stalled a bit of
late. This was definitely one of the reasons I wanted to put
canon examples of the use of every word in the dictionary.

charghwI'

--
muneH "Paramount", 'ach wej Sov chaH

Back to archive top level