tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 13 11:48:46 1994

Re: KBTP in the Wall Street Journal

   Qu'vatlh!!!  Hab taHqeq SoS Quch!  Hagh HoHtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'!
tampa' jatlh Hovmey.  Imagine, airing our dirty laundry in public.  And
as far as I can tell, before even asking anyone to clean it.

On Mon, 13 Jun 1994, Kevin Wilson (DV 1994) wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Jun 1994, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:
>
> > Basically, the article is all about the split in the Bible
> > translation between the KBTP and Glen Proechel.  The claim is that
> > Glen is doing a paraphrase while "rivals" are doing a literal
> > translation.  Listen to this outpouring of goodwill to others laboring
> > hard at a goal very similar to his: "It's not going to make any
> > sense." (of the KBTP's version).  Great.
>
> I would prefer to do a scholarly edition.  Having read Mark's and Nick's
> translations, I think we are making good progress in that direction.

   So, let me see if I understand Glen correctly.  A more academic and
scholarly work will not properly reach out to the Klingons.  I think I
see his point.  How can we expect to convert the Klingons if they can't
feel the gospel in them.  Get a life, Glen!  The translation of the Bible
into Klingon IS an academic and scholarly pursuit.

> > this in a community that's so small it needs all the cohesion it can
> > get!  I'm really really disappointed with Glen.
>
> While I think that Glen's split will cause some damage to the community
> itself, I think the biggest loss will be in publicity.  Personally, I
> regret Glen's actions, not so much because the project lost a good
> translator, but because the focus has shifted from the efforts of
> tlhIngan Hol linguists as a whole to one individual who is off doing
> his own thing.

   Proechel has a long record of ignoring sound advice and digging ditches
between himself and other Klingonists.  He has appeared unwilling to
listen to other people's points of view and will not work with those that
do not agree with him.  He also seems to be using the Bible and this rift
to promote his camp.  He kills his own countrymen so he can be king.

> I did not know that we had a split.  It was not until last night that
> Glen called me to tell me that he was resigning.

   batlh ghajbe'qu'.  Did he even try to work out his differences?  Had
someone complained about the liberties he was taking?  Did he tell his
Klingon brothers that he thought they were too literal?  I do not
understand why Glen has acted this way.
   OK, I've vented.  Now to offer a solution.  My first response was to
boycott him and his camp.  There are more of us and we are more powerful
than him, surely.
bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay' 'ej mineSo'ta'Daq bIr.
But his camp is good publicity and it offers a great way to bring new
Klingonists into our fold.  He can be a useful ally.  We can not allow
this rift to develop in such a small group.  We need him and, whether he
sees it or not, he needs us.  If we can get him to work with us, to let
us help him with his translation, to let the KLI publish his work, then
nothing has been lost.  Alas, I have no suggestions for how to accomplish
this.
   The other thing that needs to be done is for someone to write an
editorial for print in the letters pages of the Wall Street Journal.
People think we're silly enough for speaking this language, now they
think we even have ridiculous arguments about stupid, meaningless points
(never mind the fact that we do; that's internal, not for the whole
nation).  We need to downplay the rift and upplay the idea that we are
learning from these *fun* activities and that we welcome differing view
points and hope that Glen will share his discoveries and knowledge with us.
   Thanks for reading,
      janSIy   }}:+D

Back to archive top level