tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 10 09:07:03 1994

Re: Satlho'

According to Katrin Erk:
> DaH vay' pIm vijatlh vineH: nuqvaD "taH" lo'lu'? loQ muQaHbe'bogh "be
> at a negative angle" jatlh TKD. 'Hamlet'vaD "taH" lo'pu' Nick
> Nicholas: "taH pagh taHbe'" jatlh. 'a qatlh DuH?
>
> 	Katrin

Ahhh. Again, you must check the Appendix. {taH} also means "to
continue or endure". Nick was forced to use {taH pagh taHbe'}
because in ST6 that's been explicitly stated. Bad as it is, it
is the only line we have from Shakespeare in canon.

The anecdote is that Okrand knew only that he was going to have
to say something from Shakespeare. He did not know what. He dug
through many lines he thought were appropriately Klingon in
nature and had them ready. Unfortunately, since Klingon does
not have infinitives and has no verb for "to be", the one line
he was not prepared for was the one that Nimoy (I think)
requested just before the cameras started rolling: "Give me 'To
be or not to be.'" Okrand, on the spot, stole the most closely
related suffix indicating continuation (sometimes perpetually)
and made it a verb, ignored all proper prefix considerations
and duct taped together this miserable example. We're stuck
with it.

charghwI'
--
muneH "Paramount", 'ach wej Sov chaH