tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 07 10:12:16 1994

Re: jIlIH'egh

>According to Mark E. Shoulson:
>> >According to [email protected]:
>>
>> This one's tricky already.  According to the dictionary, "-'egh" can only
>> go on verbs with "no-object" prefixes (of which "vI-" isn't one.)  This
>> does lead to a question of how to express what you want to say: "I call
>> myself Steve".  This question has been bounced around here a lot, and it's
>> not a simple one.  Me, I'm inclined to say just use "Steve jIpong'egh",
>> taking "Steve" as a noun that';s not subject or object, which comes first
>> in a sentence, according to section 6.1.  It's a little iffy, I know,
since
>> it has no type 5 suffix.  Sorry.  Maybe there's a better way.  There's
>> always "Steve 'oH pongwIj'e'".

>I've always been uncomfortable with the verb {pong} since it
>almost always requires what I believe is termed an aposition.
>That means two words applied to the same thing, like in English
>when I say, "Mark, my friend,..." It is clear that Mark and the
>friend are the same entity with no verb connecting them. The
>compromise I am most recently accepting for myself would cast
>the example as:
>{"Steve" mupong nuvpu'} "People call me Steve."

>I'll often say:
>charghwI' mupong tlhInganpu' 'ach "Will" mupong tera'nganpu'

>> ~mark

>charghwI'

Surprisingly, no one seems to have seen the Nicholasian solution:

jIpong'eghmeH "Steve" vIlo'

This works quite well with the "They call the wind 'Mariah'" or whatever the
phrase was that originally posed the {pong} problem:

{SuS lupongmeH *maraya* lujatlh}

I'm not trying to be over-admirable of Nick in particular. It shouldn't
surprise anyone that he's about the only professional linguist on this list
who posts with regularity.

jIH'e' wej muyonmoHtaHmo' laHwIj jIHaDtaH jay'

Guido#1, Leader of All Guidos

Back to archive top level