tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 06 23:39:38 1994

Re: tam poHvo'

According to HoD trI'Qal:

> >According to Kevin A. Geiselman, Knight Errant:
> >> PS: I'm writing a story with a little tlhingan Hol in it and would like
> >> any ideas anybody might have for saying 'breast' other than just 'torso'.
> >
> >je'wI''a'Du'?
> >
> >charghwI'
>

> Huh?  How do you get that 'breast' is an enhancement of 'one which feeds
> (someone else)' or 'one which buys'?????
>
> --HoD trI'Qal
>   tlhwD lIy So'

Body part, plural, feeders of greater significance than the word
"feeder" might otherwise imply. I think that, nice as they are,
the first function of breasts is to feed. They are the first
source of food and so is more significant than any other common
"device" for feeding.

We do not know what sexual significance Klingons do or do not
have for breasts, but since they OBVIOUSLY do exist (in
abundance, by the examples of Klingon women we've seen so far),
I was willing to make the assumption that they were used for
feeding the young.

I thought (mistakenly, apparently) that the Klingon would
suggest the English, even for one who had never read it before.
Kevin didn't like it. trI'Qal didn't like it. I gave up.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level