tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 19 04:40:56 1994

Re: Apposition

According to Kevin Wilson:

> ...  This does not necessarily negate your construction for those
> cases in which it will work, but it does make me want to explore the
> possibility of using apposition.

> | Kevin A. Wilson                               [email protected] |

The only problem I have with this is that we have absolutely
nothing to work from in canon. Until Okrand makes a statement
about apposition, you have no more grounds saying that what you
come up with is proper Klingon than I would saying that it is
okay to use {-vaD} instead of {-'e'} in the example for "Abram
gave the baby to Sarah, who is his wife." Neither of us have a
case.

Either Okrand needs to clear it up, or we need to come up with
yet another clever casting to work around this apparent paradox.

Of course, if this were a REAL conversation, we'd solve it with
two sentences:

"Sarah"vaD puq nob "Abram".
"Abram" be'nal ghaH "Sarah"'e'.

But English speaking linguists are always determined to pack
such compound thoughts into one sentence, no matter what the
language prefers. {{:)> Of course, everyone knows the
definition of an English sentence: "A group of words conveying
one OR MORE complete thought OR THOUGHTS."

charghwI'

Back to archive top level