tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 23 06:04:50 1994

TKD erratum - charghwI'vo'

Errors and omissions:

We all know that TKD has mistakes in it. Each person has their
version of a list of these mistakes. Mine is probably more
thorough than most. For a long time, I've resisted posting my
list because I felt it would be more constructive for people to
build their own. Seeing partial lists flung back and forth, I
feel pressure to just DO it.

Even this list omits the many words whose definitions are less
complete in one side of TKD than the other, like the noun 'oy',
which is listed in the K-E side as "ache, pain, sore", but in
the E-K side, "hurt" as a noun is also defined as 'oy'. Also,
sometimes Okrand lists all the English synonyms in the E-K side
with each entry and sometimes he doesn't. I've looked for
patterns in these omissions and have concluded that there
simply aren't any in most cases. I have noted these
inconsistencies for myself, since they help me see the finer
meanings of words, but the resulting notation leaves me with
too many entries to list here.

Whenever you use words on the following list, you should define
the words for your readers IN ADVANCE, since most people do not
have such a list and will be frustrated when they try to look
them up in TKD.

Also, when I got a word from HolQeD, I have not posted the
definition in order to add incentive to subscribe to HolQeD

The exceptions:

baQa' - general invective: listed on page 178.

bol - drool: missing from K-E.

bom - (presumed verb): from HolQeD v2. n.4.

bom - (presumed noun): from HolQeD v2. n.4.

bom mu' - : from HolQeD v2. n.4.

chach - (part of speech uncertain, possibly noun or adjectival
verb): from HolQeD v1. n.3.

chaDvay' - (presumed noun): from HolQeD v1.  n.3.

chaw' - permit (n): missing from K-E.

All of the {DenIb} based words are spelled differently between
the E-K and K-E sides of TKD.

ghay'cha' - general invective (excl): page 178.

ghItlh as a verb has had its definition enhanced by Okrand in
his comments in HolQeD v.2, n.4.

ghuy'cha' - Klingon curse: page 58.

Heghba' - ritual suicide (presumed noun): from A.C. Crispin's
novel Sarek, which supposedly has Okrand's endorsement and
usually uses words from TKD. Don't get TOO excited. It has no
complete sentences and not all that much Klingon in it.

HIvDuj - (presumed noun): HolQeD v.1, n.3.

HoS choHwI' - (presumed noun): HolQed v.1, n.3

HuH - bile (n): from Power Klingon.

Hu'tegh - general invective (excl): page 178.

jeD - thick, be thick (v): from Power Klingon.

lab - more clearly, this means to send or upload, decyphered
from canon useage in ST3.

lI' - more clearly, this means to receive or download,
decyphered from canon usage in ST3.

luj (presumed verb): from HolQeD v.2, n.4.

lupwI' - bus (n): from Power Klingon

luSpet - black hole (n): from Power Klingon

maQmIgh - (presumed noun): from HolQeD v.1, n.3.

mIp - wealth (n): from Power Klingon.

mojaq and mojaQ are the same word spelled differently in E-K
vs. K-E. They both mean "suffix (n)".

motlh appears to be used as an adverbial meaning "usually" on
the trading card on Tactical Display apparently written by
Okrand.

muD has its definition further explained in HolQeD v.2, n.4.

mu'qaD veS - Curse warfare (n): from Power Klingon.

netlh should be noted as a number forming element, rather than
as a word unto itself, according to the chapter on numbers in
the gramar section of TKD. Similar concerns exist for other
number forming elements...

norgh - shark-like sea carnivore (n): from A.C. Crispin's novel
Sarek, apparently Okrand endorsed/assisted with the limited
Klingon therein.

nov: the definition "alien, be alien" is missing from the E-K
side.

ngagh (or possibly nagh) - mate with (v): from Power Klingon.

nga'chuq (presumed verb): from HolQeD v.1, n.3.

paS - late, be late (v): from Conversational Klingon.

petaQ - epithet from page 178.

poDmoH - clip (v): missing from K-E.

qelI'qam - equals roughly two meters, according to the Star
Trek encyclopedia.

qeng - Kang (proper name): page 58.

qeylIS - Kahless (proper name): page 58.

qogh (n): from HolQeD v.2, n.4.

qolotlh - Koloth (proper name): page 58.

qon - definition enhanced by Okrand in HolQeD v.2, n.4.

qor - Kor (proper name): page 58.

qoreQ - Korax (proper name): page 58.

qutlh - cheap, be cheap (v): from Conversational Klingon.

Qap has its definition enhanced in HolQeD v.2, n.4.

Qeq - aim (v): from Power Klingon.

QI'lop - a Klingon holiday: Power Klingon [this spelling is a
best guess of Michael Dorn's pronunciation.]

QI'yaH - Klingon curse: page 58.

QoQ (presumed noun): from HolQeD v.2, n.4.

Qu'vatlh - Klingon Curse said in moments of extreme anger: page
58 and Conversational Klingon.

roS - lick (v): [best guess spelling] from Power Klingon.

roSHa'moH (v): from HolQeD v1, n.3.

Sum - nearby, be nearby (v): from Conversational Klingon.

taHqeq - epithet from page 178; in Conversational Klingon, this
is termed as a classic insult.

teS (n): from HolQeD v.2, n.4.

toDSaH - epithet from page 178; in Conversational Klingon, you
would call someone this if you were not on the best of terms.

tonSaw' (n): from HolQeD v.1, n.3.

torgh - Torg (proper name) page 58.

to'baj - type of animal (n): from Power Klingon

tuj muvwI' (n) from HolQeD v.1, n.3.

tlhej - accompany: is labeled as a noun in both sides of TKD,
but Okrand corrected himself in HolQeD v.2 n.4. It should be a
verb.

va - general invective (excl): from page 178.

valQIS - Valkris (proper name): page 58.

waH (or wagh) - be expensive (v): from Conversational Klingon.

wa'maH is defined a little differently between the two sides of
TKD. It is one instance of a combining form.

woj (v): HolQeD v.1, n.3.

yatlh (v): HolQeD v.1, n.3.

yeq and jIj apparently both mean "cooperate", though one is
listed only in K-E and the other only in E-K.

yIntagh - epithet (excl): page 178.

similarly, yuQjIjQa' and yuQjIjDIvI' both mean "United
Federation of planets" and each appear in only one side of TKD.

'eq - early, be early (v): from Conversational Klingon.

'Iwghargh - bloodworm (n): from Power Klingon.

'orghen and all words based on it similarly have different
spellings between E-K and K-E.

'uD'a' (n): HolQeD v.1,n.3.

'uD Haqtaj (n): HolQeD v.1,n.3.

'ur - treason, commit treason (v): missing from K-E.

'urwI' - traitor (n): missing from K-E.

Missing from E-K:

vigilant, be vigilant (v) Dugh

village (n) vengHom

violate (v) wem

violation (n) wem

warp factor (n) pIvlob

wave (n) yu'egh

weaken (v) pujmoH

weakling (n) pujwI'

wear out (v) QopmoH

weird, be weird (v) taQ

wet, be wet (v) yIQ

wheeze (v) tlhov

whine (v) vIng

whisper (v) tlhup

wing (n) tel

wonder (v) SIv

worn out, be worn out (v) Qop

worrywart (n) rejmorgh

wound (v) QID

wrap (v) qat

wreck (v) puy

writer's cramp (n) ngav

writhe (v) nogh

wrong, be wrong (v) muj

yank (v) luH

yeoman (n) ne'

zoo (n) Hu

This is probably not a TOTALLY complete list, since it is made
rather casually as I sweep through my homemade dictionary. It
has not received the kind of proofreading of that earlier work.

I hope it helps someone.

charghwI'

Back to archive top level