tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 26 08:23:28 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: rIvSo'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, May 25, 2015
>
> Klingon word: rIvSo'
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: embassy

AFAIK never used in a sentence.

TREK NOTES:

KGT 51:  Though many Klingons themselves are apt to describe the Federation's Starfleet as a type of {QI'}, this is not really an appropriate use of the term, since {QI'} refers to the military only,
while the functions of Starfleet are scientific and diplomatic as well.

In ENTERPRISE the Vulcans called their pre-Federation embassy compound in San Francisco a "consulate" for some reason.  Did they have more than one on Earth?

"the only tool diplomacy has is language." (Amb. Hodin, TOS "The Mark of Gideon")

"I'm a soldier, not a diplomat." (Kirk, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

"Diplomats and bureaucrats may function differently, but they achieve exactly the same results." (Spock, TOS "The Mark of Gideon")

"We must acknowledge once and for all that the purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." (Spock, TOS "The Mark of Gideon")

MCCOY:  "Just when I was beginning to think you might find a new career as a diplomat!"
SPOCK:  "Do not give up that hope, Doctor." (TOS "The Mark of Gideon")

Future Alexander became a diplomat, a peacemaker on the Klingon Homeworld. "The cause of peace is an honorable one." (Worf to Future-Alexander, TNG "Firstborn")

"If you were not an ambassador I would disembowel you right now!" (Worf to Iyaaran Amb. Byleth, who had accused Worf of lying during a poker game [TNG "Liaisons"])

Known Klingon diplomats include Ambassador Kamarag (ST4 & SAREK) and Ambassador Kell (TNG "The Mind's Eye").  K'Ehleyr was a Federation emissary/ambassador (TNG "The Emissary", "Reunion").

SEE ALSO:
ghar 		diplomacy (n)
gharwI' 	diplomat (n)
Duy'a' 	ambassador (n)