tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 13 08:15:53 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Phonemes

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Felix Malmenbeck:
>I've been trying to thing of instances where we might see {n} follower by
>{gh}; it doesn't strike me as a strange combination, but I've never seen it.
>This would be interesting because - disregardring the three-consonant
>cluster {tlH} - it's the only case I can think of where capitalizing {H}
>makes any difference.

I know of only one example:

lIghonngan  	Ligonian (person) KGT

Okrand comments on this unusual combination:

KGT 141:  Actually, there is some phonetic variation here. Ligonian is often pronounced {lIghongan}, dropping the final {n} of {lIghon} before the initial {ng} of {ngan}. This is not considered an error, only an alternate pronunciation.

Presumably the same thing happened with {vulqangan} Vulcan, from an unattested alternate/earlier form *{vulqanngan}.