tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 11 00:44:07 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Windows 8 and pIqaD fonts- solution to problem

Tim Stoffel ([email protected])

And I was almost ready to say that Windows 8 is actually a Romulan
computer virus!

;)
Tim Stoffel

--

-----Original Message-----
From: Robyn Stewart <[email protected]>
Subject: [Tlhingan-hol] Windows 8 and pIqaD fonts- solution to problem
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 20:53:38 -0700

I believe I posted about this problem before, but only today did I find
the solution. I share it so that (a) others may benefit and (b) so that
when I forget how I solved the problem this time, the Internet will know
the answer.

When I installed Windows 8, all my pIqaD fonts reverted to the Latin
alphabet, and when I edited documents I had previously saved with
Klingon fonts, they suddenly showed Latin characters. The ttf files were
there, uncorrupted, and the fonts were available to select, but whether
I was formatting text, or viewing and previewing the fonts through
control panel, all I saw was the Latin alphabet.

The secret to reclaiming the lost Klingon fonts was the Language Bar. At
the time I initialized Windows 8, I selected the languages and fonts I
wanted available.  They each associated with a language and a keyboard
layout, so I have a dropdown and hotkeys to switch among input
languages. As I rarely use pIqaD on this computer, I had completely
forgotten that while they had associated with English (Canada), it was
not the same English (Canada) that I use on a daily basis, but the other
one, “OL English (Canada)” (presumably the OL stands for Other Language)
down at the bottom of the list. When I select this, my fonts are usable.

O frabjous day! jIQuch.  (I can read that as jIQuchqu’, but it’s
probably gibberish to others – sorry)

If you’re interested, the fonts I have include:

Klingon pIqaD HaSta and two other Michael Everson fonts

Nokia Pure HL KLGN Regular and two other Nokia fonts

pIqaD Medium from qurgh

- Qov