tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 06 06:40:52 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: jegh

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Anthony Appleyard wrote:
>> Is {{jegh}} transitive or intransitive? There is a big difference here.

SuStel:
> It has always appears as an intransitive verb, e.g., {not jegh
> tlhInganpu'}.

More examples:

  bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh
  Surrender or die! TKD

  jeghbe' tlhInganpu'
  Klingons do not surrender. TKW

  not jegh tlhIngan SuvwI'
  a Klingon warrior never surrenders KGT

  paghlogh jegh tlhIngan SuvwI'
  a Klingon warrior surrenders zero times (sic) KGT

  jIjegh ghe'torvo' narghDI' qa'pu'
  I will surrender when spirits escape from Gre'thor. KGT

  not yIjegh!
  [("Never surrender!") Marc Okrand's common inscription on books/photos]

TLW 89:  In Klingon, the word for surrender, {jegh}, also can be translated as "give up", in the sense of abandoning a project.

"Commander, signal the following in all languages and in all frequencies: We surrender." (Picard, TNG "Encounter at Farpoint I")

"A Klingon would never have surrendered" (Kang, TOS "Day of the Dove")

SEE ALSO:
bup 		quit (v)
paj 		resign (v)
choS		desert (v)
lon 		abandon (v)
moS 		compromise (v)

mev		stop,  cease (v)
baq		terminate, discontinue  (v)
yev  		pause, take a break (v)

Doghjey 	unconditional surrender (n)

Note the similarity to the noun {jagh} "enemy".

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons