tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 02 07:25:13 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: jaSHa'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, January 02, 2015
>
> Klingon word: jaSHa'
> Part of speech: adverb
> Definition: similarly
> Source: From Star Trek (2009) via an interview with Marc Okrand.

peHruS (date unknown):  At the 2000 qep'a' in conversation with MO, I went over the list I had prepared of adverbs + {-Ha'}. This was the very one which I was disappointed to learn from MO himself that it does NOT work. He never explained why. [...] Well, that's just about what I remember about {jaSHa'}. Merely that (possibly not verbatim): "I don't think it works." He did not volunteer any other information about why it doesn't SEEM to work or what else would work.

[Apparently Okrand talked to Maltz again and changed his mind...]

Qov (8/30/2012):  At the 2012 qep'a', when "Asked if {jaSHa'} and {pe'vIlHa'} were okay, Marc said, 'Why wouldn't they be?' implying that {-Ha'} on adverbs is generally accepted, if the meaning is obvious.

Lieven (1/15/2014):  At the 2013 qepHom, Lieven interviewed Okrand on his work for STID: "the stuff I had submitted had no new material, except for one half new word, which was {jaSHa'}, meaning similarly.

SEE ALSO:

jaS  		differently (adv.)

nIb 		be identical (v)
rur 		resemble (v)