tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 11 06:36:42 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Beginners corner

De'vID ([email protected])

On 10 August 2015 at 09:41, Maxim Sonin <[email protected]> wrote:
> HIQaH:
> {tulghach yIlon naDev 'elwI'pu'}

"Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate"

A couple of things:
* I'd advise against using {-ghach}, it's not supposed to be attached
to a bare verb, and the meaning would in any case be something like
"hope-ation".
* Does one "abandon" hope in Klingon? To "abandon hope" means to
completely stop hoping. Try to work with that.
* Consider {vegh} as a possible alternative to {'el}. This is a sign
on top of a gate ({lojmIt}) between worlds, so I think of it as
something someone passes through rather than something someone enters,
though that may be a matter of preference or interpretation. I may
also be culturally biased, as in the {paq'batlh}, the verb {vegh} is
used to describe Kahless' entry into the underworld.

--
De'vID