tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 07 07:17:51 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: QI

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, August 07, 2015
>
> Klingon word: QI
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: bridge (over a river)

Qov < MO (8/2012):  "The word for bridge (as in over a river) is {QI} (one of those weird vowel-final words). Maltz said that would apply to the kind of rope bridge you described (as well as more substantial bridges).

QeS (7/29/2013):  ... while we were travelling to Fort Mifflin, the topic of the new word {QI} "bridge" came up in conversation in Lawrence's car, and I took the opportunity to ask Marc an associated question. Since we lack a verb for to go across in the sense of crossing a river, I've wondered for a while now as to whether {vegh} "go through" might be appropriate. When I asked Marc this, he explained that in order to sensibly talk about {vegh}-ing a bridge, the bridge would have to be covered over - that is, some form of {'och}. So basically, it seems that to {vegh} an object, the object must completely encircle the vector of travel. (Marc did also add that it need not be pedantically exact: a meshwork or cage-like object can also be {vegh}-ed, so long as the object is still essentially ringlike or tunnel-like.)

HQ 12.2:  {qa'rI'} is also used for the end of bounded space which is seen as having length even if it is not enclosed space. Thus, it is used for the end of a road, the end of a bridge, the end of a long field. ... On the other hand, if a bridge is under construction and lies halfway across a river or gorge or freeway, it may be said to have a {megh'an} (or {'er'In}).

N.B. do not confuse with the noun {meH} "bridge (aboard ship)" (or probably "control room" aboard a submarine which technically don't have bridges, at least not in the US Navy).

Pun:
Cf. Pierre Boule's novel & classic movie "Bridge Over the River Kwai" (!)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons