tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 14 08:36:06 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tIq

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

De'vID:
>>> Of course, {bIQtIq} might also have been "water's heart", or perhaps
>>> the last part's just a coincidental homophone with no relation to any
>>> word {tIq}.

Voragh:
>> Though how "water's heart" leads to "river" I can't imagine.

André:
> You know, that's weird! I've always perceived {bIQtIq} as the 'water
> heart', as rivers somehow pump the water through the countries or
> something like that. I always thought, how poetic! I never realized
> it could've been simply 'long water' (how profane!).

Andre obviously has a better imagination than I do.  His explanation is, at least, plausible:  rivers are the land's {'aDmey} "veins" (also arteries, blood vessels, etc.?).  Visible veins full of blood appeal to Klingons:

KGT 99:  Each dish is brought to the table ({raS}) on a platter ({'elpI'}) ... The food is arranged not haphazardly but in a way that helps the food look appealing. For example, in some dishes, pieces are placed with the veins clearly visible so that the blood still inside them can be seen.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons