tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 07 11:26:55 2015

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: wej

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

Other clarification techniques:

SuvwI''e' wej vIllegh.
wej SuvwI'pu' vIlegh. (still possible to mistake, but clearer)
wej vIlegh: wa' cha' wej.

There is a kind of stress difference when you say it out loud, I think the
wej for not yet is longer.  This is odd, because obviously they are the same
words in the dictionary, but through use they feel different. Maybe it's all
in my head.

In 'orwI' Hol, which is very much like DIvI' Hol but with a more restricted
vocabulary and grammar, we "descend two four thousand feet" and never
"descend to four thousand feet" to avoid this confusion.

Language ambiguity is a fascinating thing. I was recently angrily blocked on
Twitter by someone I was trying to express support for, because I managed to
write words in English that could have the opposite meaning.

- Qov