tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 24 06:17:56 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] this / that as subject

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Brad Wilson:
>> I was thinking that there is no way to use "this" and "that"
>> as nouns except as suffixes like {Dochvam / Dochvetlh}.

Philip:
> {Dochvam / Dochvetlh} are what I usually see for “this” and “that”,
> respectively.

A review of {Doch} "thing" (n) in canon:

chay' Dochvam vIlo'
What do I do with this? (How do I use this?) TKD

nuqDaq Dochvam vIlan
What do I do with this? (Where do I put this?) TKD

Dochvetlh DIlmeH Huch 'ar DaneH
How much do you want for that? TKD

Dochvetlh vISoplaHbe'
I can't eat that. TKD

Dochvam nuq
What is this? CK

Dochvetlh yItlhap
[Take that! (untranslated)] PK

juHwIjDaq Dochvetlh vItlhap
I will take *that* to my home. PK

naDev Dochvetlh qem
Bring that here! PK

naDev Dochvetlh qemqu'
I really mean it this time! Bring that here! PK

tajwIj 'oHbe' chorlIj jeqbogh Dochvetlh'e'
That is not my dagger protruding from your midsection. FTG

'ej DochmeywIj vItlhapqa'meH
and take back what's mine ("and in order to retrieve my things") STID

>> Then I thought that a sentence like "This is my ship" might be
>> rendered as {DujwIj 'oHvam}.

> I think not. In {DujwIj 'oH}, the {'oH} is acting as a verb, in my
> opinion, so it can only take verbal suffixes—you could say {DujwIj
> 'oHbej}, for example, or {DujwIj 'oHbe'}.
>
> I would recommend {DujwIj 'oH Dujvam'e'}.

We do have examples of this pattern:

tlhIngan wo' Degh 'oH Deghvam'e'
This marking represents the Klingon Empire. SP1

loD Do' ghaH loDvam'e' 'ach bID loD ghaH
This man is a lucky man, but he is a half man (Sonnet 116)

pa' cha'maH wej 'oH pa'lIj'e'
Your room is number 23. CK

ghe''orDaq luSpet 'oH DaqlIj'e'
You belong in a black hole in the Netherworld! PK

Can anyone thing of any other examples?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons