tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 19 08:01:22 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: polHa'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, September 19, 2014
>
> Klingon word: polHa'
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: discard

  pollaH pagh polHa'laH
  can either keep it or discard it

KGT 116f.:  This is a way to say "The matter is unimportant" or "It does not make any difference". The phrase is usually used in response to someone who expresses a concern about something, and the it in the translation refers to the matter under discussion. It is sometimes phrased in terms of the speaker, as in {vIpollaH pagh vIpolHa'laH} ("I can either keep it or I can discard it"), or the listener, as in {DapollaH pagh DapolHa'laH} ("You can either keep it or you can discard it").

TREK TRIVIA:
After the spirit has departed the body, Klingon warriors consider the corpse to be only an "empty shell", to be disposed of accordingly (cf. TNG "Heart of Glory")

SEE ALSO:
pol  			keep, save, store KBoP (v)
leH 			maintain (v)
ngaS			contain (v)
choq 			preserve (v)

polmeH pa' 	[storeroom] (n)
- Soj polmeH pa' 	food storage [locker/compartment] KBoP

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons