tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 10 08:24:12 2014

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qay'

Michael Roney, Jr. PKT ([email protected])

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Qov:  I remember hearing, I *think* from Marc Okrand himself, that {qay'be'} was created in honour of a member of the tech crew on one of the movie sets who said "no problem" in response to all requests. By that logic, it means "I can do that/did that/will do that without difficulty." A friendly boast.

The Star Trek Encyclopedia has this to say:

Qay'be'. Klingon language phrase meaning "No problem." ("Real Life" [VGR]).
The expression was devised by Klingon language consultant Marc Okrand
at the request of Star Trek III visual-effects supervisor Ken Ralston,
and was subsequently incorporated into the Klingon lexicon. It became
a catchphrase for Ralston and his ILM crew, whenever they faced an
unexpected problem or a last-minute change of plans during the
production of the movie. No matter how difficult the problem or how
unusual the request might be, the proper warrior's response was a firm
Qay'be'!

~naHQun

--
~Michael Roney, Jr.