tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 28 15:36:17 2013

[Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv = The Recruit - 37

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

After having fooled the Romulans into thinking he was an injured one of
their own, Torg is back in the main corridor.
---
narghmeH, lupDujHom nIHnIS 'e' wuq. lupDujHom 'ormeH mIw Sovbe' torgh 'ach
Qatlhqu'laH'a'? lupDujHom verghmeH pa' nejmeH chobDaq qetqa'. much qaw
torgh. romuluSngan tengchaH pIrmuS botlhvo' nargh Dujmey. letlh ghIr torgh
'ej chob pImDaq qetchoH. mang juS. tlhIngan DaSmeyDaj leghDI' mang, jach 'ej
bachchoH. tIHmey 'omlaH yoD Sut 'ach tugh law'qu'choH negh. yoD Sutmey
tuQtaH je neghvam 'ej torgh luDech bachwI'pu'. po' chaH 'ej Hub'eghrupchu'.
bachtaHvIS Duv. ghunchoH torgh Sut. HoSDaj lunatlhlaw' bachmey, 'ej SabchoH
je nuHDaj HoS.
--
narghmeH, lupDujHom nIHnIS 'e' wuq. -  Often the easiest way to translate a
sentence with 'e' is to work backwards. Do try to think in Klingon and read

lupDujHom 'ormeH mIw Sovbe' torgh 'ach Qatlhqu'laH'a'? 'or = pilot, operate
an aircraft; 'ormeH mIw = the procedure in order to pilot; "Torg doesn't
know how to pilot a shuttlecraft, but can it be very difficult?" This
sentence amuses me, because I'm making fun of what I do for a living, but I
feel obliged to point out that the object of Torg's infatuation is a pilot,
and it's kind of misogynistic for him to assume that anyone can do what she
does, as it was for him not to think through her obvious security clearance
when he initially tried to brag about his mission.

lupDujHom verghmeH pa' nejmeH chobDaq qetqa'. lupDujHom verghmeH pa' = the
room for the purpose of docking shuttlecraft, i.e. the shuttle bay. "He
resumes running in order to search for the shuttle bay."

much qaw torgh. = "Torg remembers a presentation." Dunno if it was a movie
or something in basic training on enemy defenses. No need to clarfy.

romuluSngan tengchaH pIrmuS botlhvo' nargh Dujmey. pIrmuS = the exterior
bottom - "Ships appeared/escaped from the bottom of a Romulan space
station." It's Star Trek. Space has an up in Star Trek.

letlh ghIr torgh 'ej chob pImDaq qetchoH. "Torg descends stairs and starts
running in a different corridor."

mang juS. juS = pass. mang= soldier. It's a super easy sentence ... "He
passes a soldier."

tlhIngan DaSmeyDaj leghDI' mang, jach 'ej bachchoH. = "As soon as the
soldier sees his Klingon boots, he cries out and starts shooting."

tIHmey 'omlaH yoD Sut 'ach tugh law'qu'choH negh. 'om = resist, fend off.
"The shield suit can resist the beams but soon the soldiers become
numerous."

yoD Sutmey tuQtaH je neghvam 'ej torgh luDech bachwI'pu'. "These soldiers
are also wearing shield suits and shooters surround Torg."

po' chaH 'ej Hub'eghrupchu'. Hub = defend, 'egh = oneself, themselves. -rup
= be ready, be prepared -chu' = completely, perfectly. "They are skilled and
fully ready to defend themselves." Torg has lost the advantage of the
Romulans' initial confusion.

bachtaHvIS Duv. "They advance as they shoot."

ghunchoH torgh Sut.  ghunchoH = become warm/begin to program  Given that the
subject is Torg's clothing and he's facing a barrage of disruptor fire,
which do you think it is?

HoSDaj lunatlhlaw' bachmey, 'ej SabchoH je nuHDaj HoS.  -- natlh = consume,
drain. "The shots seems to consume the suit's power and his weapon power is
also beginning to decline."

Invincibility makes boring stories. So do I, but this I hope is more
interesting than staring at a word list. If you remember a word because it
was in one of Qov's silly stories then my work here is done. Or at least
halfway done. Definitely this story is over halfway through now.

- Qov