tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 25 21:23:14 2013

[Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv = The Recruit - 34

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

Torg has just mowed down a barrack full of Romulan soldiers, using a
disruptor rifle and vaguely unspecified other methods. He moves on.
---
QongmeH pa' mejDI', romuluSngan mIv legh 'ej qech tlhoj torgh. lI'bej
romuluSngan yoD Sut. polmeH pa'HomDaq yoD Sut tuQbogh romuluSngan lom luH.
nom lomvo' yoDSut teq, ghIq tuQmoH ghaH. volchaHDu'Daq Qey, 'ach tuQlaHtaH.
mIv tuQmoH 'ach Surchem chu'laHbe'. chaq janHom Hutlh. ratlhbogh 'ay'
nejmeH, lom retlhDaq torchoH. pay' pe'vIl poSchoH pa'Hom lojmIt. torghDaq
vagh nISwI' beH, wej HIchmey je Qeq negh vaQqu'. torgh 'emDaq ratlh
nISwI'meyDaj.
---
QongmeH pa' mejDI',  You could read this as "When he leaves in order for the
room to sleep," or "When he leaves the room in order to sleep." I didn't
consider those meanings as I was writing it, but I don't think I would
change it now. There's no reason to think Torg is about to sleep, is there?
I intend you to read, "When he leaves the sleeping room."

romuluSngan mIv legh 'ej qech tlhoj torgh.  "He sees the Romulan helmet and
Torg realizes an idea."  You don't realize an idea in English, unless you
mean that you make it a reality, but I don't believe tlhoj has that
additional "make real" meaning in Klingon. I didn't want to use ghaj for to
"have an idea," so I chose tlhoj. He realizes something. What does he
realize? I'm happy with it.

lI'bej romuluSngan yoD Sut. "The Romulan shield clothing is definitely
useful."

polmeH pa'HomDaq yoD Sut tuQbogh romuluSngan lom luH. - luH = yank, also
exact a confession; <polmeH pa'Hom> = something like a room, but lesser and
for the purpose of keeping/storing. What would you call that in English? He
does the rest of that sentence with that polmeH pa'Hom as the location or
destination. The verb is luH and the object of the verb is yoD Sut tuQbogh
romuluSngan, a relative clause. What is the head noun, the suit or the
Romulan? Does it matter? Both the suit and the Romulan corpse within are
getting hauled. "He yanks the Romulan corpse wearing the shield suit into a
storage closet."

nom lomvo' yoDSut teq, ghIq tuQmoH ghaH. "He rapidly removes the armor from
the corpse, and then dons it himself." Anyone who has ever played nethack
will recognize this manoeuvre, complete with closet.

volchaHDu'Daq Qey, 'ach tuQlaHtaH. "It is tight on the shoulders, but he can
wear it." He's short, but still broader across the shoulders than a Romulan.

mIv tuQmoH 'ach Surchem chu'laHbe'. "He puts on the helmet, but he cannot
activate the forcefield."

 chaq janHom Hutlh.-  janHom = something like a device but lesser.  "Perhaps
he is missing a component."

ratlhbogh 'ay' nejmeH, lom retlhDaq torchoH. "In order to search for the
remaining piece, he kneels down next to the corpse."

pay' pe'vIl poSchoH pa'Hom lojmIt.   "Suddenly the door of the closet slams
open."

torghDaq vagh nISwI' beH, wej HIchmey je Qeq negh vaQqu'.  "Extremely
aggressive soldiers aim three pistols and five disruptor rifles at Torgh."

 torgh 'emDaq ratlh nISwI'meyDaj.   - torgh 'em = "the area behind Torg."
Literally, "His disruptors remain In Torg's area behind."  But of course the
sentence is the other way around so the name comes first and the possessive
comes later. So "Torg's disruptors remain behind him."

- Qov