tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 09 13:50:47 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] do {vIttlhegh} become {ngo'} or {qan}?

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 12:27 AM, De'vID <[email protected]> wrote:
> In Chinese, a time-worn proverb is described as old with age (老), not
> old due to lack or fading of novelty (which is what 舊 would imply).

Chinese culture arguably places more value on people of advanced age
than does Klingon culture. If an "old proverb" is to be venerated,
then I would expect the appropriate translation to reflect that
difference. My intuition is that {qan} applies to beings, and perhaps
to other living things, but not to inanimate objects or intangible
concepts.

-- ghunchu'wI'