tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Sep 08 14:58:12 2013

[Tlhingan-hol] Story: ghuv = The Recruit - 21

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

The story continues. Torg has boarded the mission ship, with his new gear.
---
tugh tIj 'eng, jul je. tenDI', Duj luSo', ghIq qaStaHvIS cha' rep qugh.
tagha'  jatlh 'orwI', "mapawlI'."
torgh bejchoH Hoch. pIl torgh. be'vetlh, ghomvam je HemmoH 'e' Hechqu'.
"tuwuvlaH," jatlh, 'ej qa'DajDaq Sovbej. jangbe' latlhpu'. bejchuq. bItlaw'.
DaH torgh mInDu' leghqangbe'. ghuv chu'qu' luwIvpu' DaH 'e' lupaylaw'.
qaStaHvIS wa' tup tam Hoch. qabDajDaq SIp botwI' tuQchoHmoH torgh.
---
adverb verb noun1, noun2 je => noun and noun verb in the adverb manner.

"Cloud and Sun soon board."

(BTW I made up the names of this team while at work. My main goal was that
they all have different vowels and sound different so they couldn't be
mistaken for one another. I also wanted them to sound nothing at all like
cool fighter pilot code names. It wasn't until I started sending the story
that I realized I had named them after things of primary importance in my
job.  Sun, cloud, nostril, signal ... not sure where bIp came from. Guess
she can't be nIn, because that's too close to 'eng in sound).

tenDI', Duj luSo', ghIq qaStaHvIS cha' rep qugh.

ten = embark - I'm not entirely sure whether Marc intended it in the
original meaning "go onboard" or in the additional meaning "set out on a
voyage" so I've used it here in a way that either is valid.

So'lu' = originally I had So' and ghunchu'wI' suggested So''egh, but I've
decided to go back to So', except that now the ship is the object.  HIvmeH
Duj So'lu' = A ship cloaks in order to attack.  So''egh nuv. Duj So'lu'.

"Once they embark, the ship is cloaked and then they cruise for two hours.

tagha'  jatlh 'orwI', "mapawlI'."

-lI' - the continuous suffix that indicates a definite goal and intention -
"mapawlI'." = we are arriving

"At last the pilot said, "We're arriving."

torgh bejchoH Hoch.

bej = watch
-choH = change
bejchoH = change to watch

"Everyone looks at Torg."

pIl torgh.

"Torg is inspired."

be'vetlh, ghomvam je HemmoH 'e' Hechqu'.

"He fully intends to make that woman and this group proud."

"tuwuvlaH," jatlh, 'ej qa'DajDaq Sovbej.

wuv = rely on

tu- (verb prefix) = you plural - me

-laH (V5) = can, be able to

"You can rely on me," he said, and in his soul he knew it for sure. - He's
gone from  "jIH tuneHbej'a'?" to "tuwuvlaHbej" overnight. Amazing what a
little acceptance can do.

jangbe' latlhpu'. bejchuq. bItlaw'.

"The others do not answer. They watch one another. They are apparently
nervous."

DaH torgh mInDu' leghqangbe'.

legh = see
-qang = be willing

"Now they are not willing to see Torg's eyes."

ghuv chu'qu' luwIvpu' DaH 'e' lupaylaw'.

ghuv chu'qu' = a very new recruit

The adverb here begins a new phrase, one whose object is 'e' - representing
the preceding sentence. This structure is not attested in canon, but it's
the only place it can go to make sense. An adverb precedes the object.

"They now seem to regret that they chose a very new recruit." - the V6
suffixes expressing levels of certainty here are from Torg's point of view.
Does anyone have issue with that?

qaStaHvIS wa' tup tam Hoch.

"While one minute occurs, everyone is quiet." "For the duration of one
minute, everyone is silent."

qabDajDaq SIp botwI' tuQchoHmoH torgh.

tuQmoH is put on, but when the suffix -choH is added it has to go in its
proper order, before -moH.

"Torg begins to put on the gas blocker, on his face." - maybe you know what
a gas blocker is now. Maybe it was obvious right away. I don't know, but
when writing in Klingon and describing something to name it, I don't assume
readers will jump to the conclusion I want them to.

- Qov