tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 28 07:27:16 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: loS

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, October 26, 2013
>
> Klingon word: loS
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: wait (for)

loS... qIb HeHDaq
It waits... on the edge of the galaxy S99

DaH maloS.  peghItlh!
 (st.k 8/96) [untranslated]

... and possibly from TNG:

jIbechrup may' vIloS
I am ready to suffer battle. I wait for them. (TNG "The Icarus Factor")
 ["I am ready to suffer. I wait for battle."]

(The Klingon is good though it doesn't quite match the English line.  This is the episode where we first saw the Rite of Ascension - well, a holographic reenactment - and there was a bit more Klingon heard.  Was Okrand involved?)

Anything in the paq'batlh?

PUN:
"wait fo(u)r"?  (Doneq)

Similar verbs:

 pIH 		expect (v)
 tuv 		be patient (v)
mIm 		delay (v)
lum 		postpone, procrastinate (v)
ratlh 		remain (v)

N.B. do not confuse with the homophonous numeral {loS} "four".