tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 17 12:17:10 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Na'vi' piece

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Robyn Stewart <[email protected]> wrote:
> I was interviewed for this piece in Nautilus magazine.
> http://nautil.us/issue/6/secret-codes/cracking-avatars-language-codes

De' nejlu'meH SoH DaSamlu'. meq DaSov'a'? qatlh ponglIj Sov yu'wI'?

> I don't appear in the piece: perhaps I was background or just cut for lack
> of interest.

chaq ngoDqoqmey lupIHlu'bogh Daj law' ngoDmey Da'olbogh Daj puS.

> I find it interesting that Na'vi' enthusiasts were at first
> working only from the subtitles with no grammar to guide them. That's
> another layer we Klingonists don't have.

We do seem to be getting more hints and examples without explicit
definitions lately. Things like {ngIq} and {'aplo'} and {vey} are
reasonably well understood to various extents, though we don't have
"official" prescriptive meanings direct from Marc Okrand.

Until we get a good explanation of {yI'}, however, I think that one is
going to remain an interesting mystery.

-- ghunchu'wI'