tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Oct 11 07:18:08 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Hogh

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, October 11, 2013
>
> Klingon word: Hogh
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: week (Klingon)

  jav Hogh maH Qo'noSvo'
  We am... six weeks out of Kronos. (sic!) (Uhuru, ST6)

KGT 205f.:  Similarly, the Klingon words {jaj}, {jar}, and {DIS} are normally translated as day, month, and year, respectively, but the length of a Klingon day, month, or year is not the same as the Terran counterpart. Calculating the length of a Klingon day, month, or year is not at all a straightforward exercise, but suffice it to say that a period of five months is not the same amount of time as a period of {vagh jarmey}.

st.k 6/1997:  Adding {-vam} "this" to most words designating fixed periods of time seems to be the only way to indicate current. Thus ... the current week or this week is {Hoghvam} ({Hogh} [Klingon] week).

Okrand to Lieven (3/27/2012):  I'll have to get back to you about names of days of the week. Maltz was very familiar with {jaj wa'} being used for Sunday in the publicity for the Star Trek Experience in Las Vegas. He said he assumed that whoever used that translation was catering to Americans who were used to considering Sunday the first day of the week, but the way the Klingon system and all of the Earth systems he had heard of overlaid on each other was complex (then he mumbled something about {tlhIngan Hoghmey} and wandered off). When I next find him in a talkative mood, I'll try to figure out what he was referring to.

In KCD the Chalice of Kahless is kept in front of the {Hov lat} - a symbolic representation of the constellation known as {ghochwI'} "The Tracker", which contains the star which is believed to be where Kahless was pointing when he said, "I will be there".  The Chalice is "placed before the {Hov lat}, where it is always left, filled with wine, in case - the saying goes - Kahless comes. The wine is replaced every ninth day."  Is this evidence of a nine-day Klingon week?

Related vocabulary:

jaj 		day (n)
jar 		month (n)
DIS 		year (n)