tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 10 08:19:26 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: may'morgh

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>> N.B. {may'ron} "accordion, concertina" is apparently unrelated to
>> {may'} "battle", though curiously {ron} also shows up in {che'ron}
>> "battlefield" and - less curiously - in {DIron} "bagpipes".  (There's
>> also a verb {ron} "roll, bank [e.g. aircraft].)

Lieven:
> Myron Floren (November 5, 1919 - July 23, 2005) was an American musician
> best known as the accordionist on The Lawrence Welk Show.

I know.  I was playing the "Klingon etymology" game, not the "guess the pun" game.  <g>.  I'm sure that given enough time, Okrand could come up with an explanation for why this instrument is associated with battles.  (Perhaps similar to the association of harmonicas with jails and prisons here in the U.S.)

I'm told that "Myron" is also the brand name of line of accordions, no doubt licensed by Floren.  And I'm sure you know the real-life pun behind {che'ron}:  The planet Cheron was the home of the half-white/half-black aliens in TOS "Let This Be Your Last Battlefield."  (The Battle of Cheron was a pivotal battle that took place in 2160, the outcome of which effectively ended the Earth-Romulan War, with the "humiliating defeat" of the Romulans. [ENT "In a Mirror, Darkly, Pt. II].)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons