tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 09 07:35:23 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ren

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, October 09, 2013
>
> Klingon word: ren
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: design, map out, plan
> Source: qepHom 2011, Email from Marc Okrand of 25 October 2011

Lieven L. Litaer told Okrand that it was difficult to describe his job as an architect in Klingon.  Okrand answered:

MO to Lieven (11/20/2009): I did see [Maltz] earlier today as he was running off to grab a cup of coffee or something. I told him about the lack of good words relating to architecture. He said he wasn't an architect himself, so he'd have to think about that. But he did know the word for plan (the big piece of paper). He said it's {pu'jIn} -- same as the word for map.

MO to Lieven (10/24/2011):  [Maltz] did say, though, that there is a verb {ren} that means design or map out or plan. He said that {renwI'} (which I guess in its most general sense means "designer") is a perfectly good term for architect, but it can also be used for someone who designs a vehicle, say. That is, it's not restricted to buildings. He said it would not be used for architect in the sense of someone being the architect of a plan to do something; it has to be used of a person who designs a physical object of some sort. {ren} is not the same as {'ogh} "invent", which implies creating something that hasn't been created before. And it's not the same as {nab} "plan" which is used for planning an event (or a battle strategy or whatever), just as the noun {nab} "plan" cannot be used to refer to blueprints.

Lieven Litaer (11/15/11):  By the way, the word for blueprint mentioned above is {pu'jIn}, a word we learned some years ago.

Related vocabulary:

mutlh 	construct, assemble, put together (v)
'ogh 		invent (v)
nab 		plan (v)

pu'jIn  	map, blueprint, plan (n)

renwI'	designer, architect (n)
qurbuSwI' 	architect (Morskan dialect) (n)

PUN: "Christopher Wren built St. Pauls' Cathedral in London. Next, one branch of the Smithsonian Institute (where Marc Okrand used to teach, or still does) in Washington D.C. is called the "Renwick Gallery", design by the architect James Renwick. Marc Okrand said to me at qepHom X: 'These are even two reasons for the word to be {renwI'}'." (Lieven, 1/26/2012)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons