tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 07 07:02:40 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qang

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

> Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, October 06, 2013
>
> Klingon word: qang
> Part of speech: verb
> Definition: agree with routinely, always agree with, always cooperate
> with, cooperate with routinely (slang)
> Source: KGT (223 KE, 233 EK, 238 EK)

KGT 159:  The literal meaning of the verb {qang} is "pour into", though the slang usage is influenced by the verb suffix {-qang} ("willing"; compare {QaH}, "He/she helps", and {QaHqang}, "He/she is willing to help"). The slang term may be found in such sentences as {jIHDaq Daqang} ("You always agree with me, you always cooperate with me"; literally, "You pour [something] into me"). To say that someone pours (always agrees) is somewhat derogatory, implying that the agreeing or cooperating may be for ulterior motives. Nonslang equivalents of {qang}, though lacking the negative connotation, are {reH Qochbe'} ("always agree"), {reH yeq} ("always cooperate"), and {reH jIj} ("always be cooperative").

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons