tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 27 09:35:16 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] "Happy Thanksgiving"?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

De'vID:
> Is there an established-by-usage-in-the-community way of expressing good
> wishes for Thanksgiving? (Better yet if there's a canonical way.)
> Someone asked me how to say "Happy Thanksgiving" in Klingon, and I didn't
> want to re-invent the wheel.

AFAIK nothing has been established, but *{tlho'meH jaj} is sometimes used on the list for "Thanksgiving Day".  Most people use {tIv} "enjoy" for holiday-type wishes; e.g.

  Soj yItIv
  Bon appetit! Enjoy your meal! (Proechel)

  yupma' yItIv
  Happy Holiday(s)!

  qoSlIj DatIvjaj
  Happy birthday!

although there are variants with {Quch}:

  DuQuchmoHjaj qoSlIj
  Happy birthday! (Seqram)

However {lop} "observe, celebrate (a ritual)" seems to be more Klingon:

  malop
  We celebrate. KLS

  vaj malopmeH tlhIHvaD nob SaSuqpu'
  So to celebrate, I've gotten you all a gift. (Hallmark)

  yIlop! wa'leS chaq maHegh!
  Celebrate! Tomorrow we may die! TKW

  'oy'naQ Dalo'be'chugh not nenghep lop puq
  If you don't use the painstik, the child will never
  celebrate his Age of Ascension. TKW

  Heghtay lulop latlh tlhInganpu'. Heghtay luloptaHvIS
   chaH chaq bey SeQ lujach
  other Klingons may perform a ceremonial howl or yell as
   part of the Klingon death ritual. S31

  nentay loptaHvIS tlhIngan potlh tlhIngan 'oy'naQ'e'
  The Klingon Painstik is an important part of a Klingon's
   Age of Ascension ceremony. S32

  laS veghaS HIltonDaq <Hov leng: yIjeSchu'> qaSchoHmo',
   bIlopqu'meH HIlton yIghoS
  Come celebrate the grand opening of Star Trek: The Experience
   at the Las Vegas Hilton. STX

  wa'leS maghob. ghIq malop.
  Tomorrow we will do battle. Then (after that) we'll celebrate. (HQ 8.3)

  ja'chuq Dalopchu'. Qang Damoj.
  Complete the Rite of Succession to become chancellor. MKE

  tugh Dor qoSlIj. nom yIlop!
  (MO's FaceBook text to Lieven, 3/29/12)

  jatlh 'e' mevDI' qeylIS, lop
  After Kahless's words, they celebrate PB

As for turkey, Doq used *{bo'Degh pI'} but now there well may be a more appropriate Klingon bird.  Speaking of which, see the cartoon at http://www.joyoftech.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/622b.html on the custom of eating "burnt, replicated bird meat" (as Kurn put it in TNG "Sins of the Father"):

  Ha'DIbaHmey meQ Sop 'e' [lu]tIv tera'nganpu'
  Terrans enjoy eating burnt animals. CK

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons