tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 05 14:00:17 2013

[Tlhingan-hol] {rap} in "Frasier's Klingon"

Ruben Molina ([email protected])

In "Interview with Marc Okrand" (HolQeD 7:4) [1] it says "both things
have to be subject" when using {rap} ("be the same").  So, I should
say {rap A B je}
for "A and B are the same".

But in "Frasier's Klingon" (HolQeD 11:4) [2] it seems to be working in a
different way.  The speech ends like this {… rap Sov Danobpu'bogh.}
and I have been
unable to parse it correctly.  It looks to me like "the knowledge
which you gave be the same …", but, the same with what?.

I fact, I can't translate {lenglIj lutebjaj lengwIjvaD bel rap Sov Danobpu'bogh}

The article says some words are missing. So, Following {rap A B je}, I
can translate {rap Sov Danobpu'bogh} with something like  "what you
gave to my travel and knowledge is the same", assuming {je'} is the
first of he missing words.

I can also translate {lenglIj lutebjaj} as "May your travel be fill".
Maybe I can translate {lengwIjvaD bel} as "for pleasure of my travel".

I am not even close from the meaning.  And I have been unable to
render the expected meaning just by adding more words.

I need to rephrase it:

Assuming that you can say {A rap B} for "A and B are the same", I have
something like {lenglIjvaD rapjaj lengwIjvaD Danobpu'bogh bel Sov je}
for something like "May (it) be the same for your travel (than) the
pleasure and knowledge you gave to my travel".

If {rap A B je} is the correct form, it gets tricky.  I am not really
sure how to do it... {rapjaj lenglIjvaD bel Sov je 'ej lengwIjvaD
Danobpu'bogh}, maybe?
"May (it) be the same knowledge and pleasure for your travel than (the
ones) you gave to my travel".

Has anyone the complete speech? Does it works as {rap A B je}? as  {A
rap B}? Does it work in one way when have two nouns and in a different
way when we have two sentences?

Thanks
ru'ben

[1] http://klingonska.org/canon/search/?file=1998-12-holqed-07-4.txt&query=rap