tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 23 17:27:44 2013

Re: [Tlhingan-hol] Acts Chapter 2 in Klingon

Robyn Stewart ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

No one seemed to know of one, so I translated it myself. The eyes of the
more patient will be appreciated here. I'll be doing five sit-ups for every
error you find, so help me with tight Klingon and tight abs.

Acts 2

Google gave me the King James version, but when the garbled antecedents and
run-on sentences started to drive me crazy, someone handed me the NIV and
Good News to smooth it out a bit.  The back translations show the
compromises I made. I'm not a religious person, so if I've interpreted
something badly, I can change it.

I haven't done any Bible stuff before. I'm happy to be consistent with
usages others have established if you let me know.

1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one
accord in one place.
jaj vaghmaHDIch chalDaq jul tu'lu'DI', wa' DaqDaq wa' rom SIQ Hoch.
On the fiftieth day when the sun was in the sky, everyone experienced one
accord in one place.

2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind,
and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
'ej pay' QItu'vo' nargh wab. moDbogh SuS'a' rur 'ej juH luDabbogh buy'moH,
pa' ba'taHvIS chaH.
And suddenly a sound appeared/escaped from paradise. It resembled a great
rushing wind and it filled the home they inhabited while they sat there.

3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat
upon each of them.
'ej chaHvaD nargh qul rurbogh jatmey 'ej wavlu'bogh, 'ej HochDaq ba'choH
wa'.
And to them appeared tongues that resembled fire, and which were divided,
and one sat on each.

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with
other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
'ej Hoch buy'moH Qun qa', 'ej latlh Holmey jatlhchoH chaH, jatlhmoHlaHDI'
qa''a'.
And the spirit of god filled all, and they began to speak the languages of
others, as the great spirit made them able to speak.

5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation
under heaven.
'ej Jerusalem luDab Jewpu', lalDan luvuvbogh loD'e' chaH. yuQDaq Hoch
Sepmeyvo' ghoSpu'.
And Jews inhabited Jerusalem. They were men who respected religion. They had
come from every region on the planet.

6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were
confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
Dat Qoylu'DI', ghomchoH ghom, 'ej HolDaj'e' lujatlh 'e' Qoy'mo' Hoch loD,
mISchoH chaH.
When it was heard everywhere, a crowd gathered, and because each man heard
them speak his language, they became confused.

7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are
not all these which speak Galilaeans?
'ej lumerlu' 'ej SIvqu',  ja'chuqtaHvIS jatlh, <<toH, Galilaenganpu'
chaHbe''a' Hoch jatlhwI'pu'vam'e'?>>
And they were surprised and wondered so, as they spoke to one another
saying, "So, are these speakers not all Galileans?"

8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
'ej Hoch loDpu' DIQoyDI' chay' Holmaj'e' wIQoy, Hol wIghojpu'bogh maboghDI'?
And when we hear all the men, how is it that it is our language we hear, the
language we learned when we were born?

9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and
in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

Parthianpu', Medepu', Elamnganpu', Mesoptamia nganpu', Judea, Cappadocia,
Pontus, Asia je nganpu' maH.

We are Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the inhabitants of
Mesopotamia, and inhabitants of Judaea, Cappadocia, Pontus, and Asia.

10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia,  in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about
Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

Phrygiavo', Pamphyliavo', maSIrvo', Cyrene Dechbogh Libya 'ay'meyvo' maghoS;
Roma novpu', Jewpu', chu'wI'pu' je maH.

We come from Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, and the parts of Libya which
surround Cyrene; We are aliens of Rome, Jews and newcomers too.

11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful
works of God.

Cretenganpu', 'arabnganpu' je maH, HochvaD jatlhDI' chaH, Holmeymaj DIQoy,
Qun ta'mey Dun DeltaHvIS.

We are Cretes and Arabians. When they speak to all, we hear our languages,
as they describe the wonderful deeds of god.

12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What
meaneth this?
'ej yay' Hoch, 'ej HontaH, ja'chuqtaHvIS jatlh, <<nuq 'oS?>>
And everyone was dumbfounded and they doubted, saying as they conferred,
"What does it represent?"

13 Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.
vaq latlhpu'. jatlh, <<HIq 'Iq lutlhutlhpu' loDpu'vam>>.
Others mocked. They said, "These men have drunk too much liquor."

14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said
unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this
known unto you, and hearken to my words:
'ach qamchoH Peter, wa'maH tlhejtaHvIS. pe'vIl jatlhchoH 'ej chaHvaD jatlh,
<<Judea loDpu', Hoch Judea DabwI'pu' je, ngoDvam yISovchoH, 'ej mu'meywIj
tI'Ij:
But Peter stood up, accompanying eleven. He started to speak forcefully and
said to them, "Men of Judea and all inhabiting Judea, come to know this fact
and listen to my words:

15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour
of the day.
vaj chechbe'bej chaH, SuloyHa', jajvam wejlogh neH rep Qoylu'pu'mo'.
Thus they are definitely not drunk. You have guessed incorrectly, because
this day the hour has only been heard three times.

16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
'ach wanI'vam ja'pu' maQ leghwI', Joel.
Joel, the seer of signs has told this event.

17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of
my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
ja' Qun, jajmey Qav qaS. Hoch nuvpu'Daq qa'wI'vo' vIqang, 'ej wej qaSbogh
wanI'mey ja' puqbe'pu'ra', puqloDpu'ra' je 'ej maQmey legh loDpu'ra' Qup,
'ej najtaH loDpu'ra' qan:
God said, it happens in the final days. I pour my spirit onto all people and
your
daughters will tell events that have not yet happened, and your young men
will see omens, and your old men will dream.

18 And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of
my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:
'ej ngugh toy'wI'pu'ma'Daq, qa'wI' vIqang 'ej wej qaSbogh wanI'mey ja' chaH:
And at that time I will pour my spirit on my servants and they will tell
events that have not yet occurred.

19 And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath;
blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:
'ej Dung QItu'Daq wanI'mey Dun vIcha', 'ej bIng tera'Daq maQ vIcha': 'Iw,
qul, tlhIch SIp je.
And in the area above's paradise I will show wondrous events, and on the
area below's Earth I will show signs: blood, fire and smoke gas.

20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before
that great and notable day of the Lord come:
HurghchoH jul, 'ej 'Iw moj maS, qaSpa' Qun jaj'a'vetlh.
The sun will darken and the moon will become blood before Gods day of days
occurs.

21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the
Lord shall be saved.
'ej qaS wanI'vam: Qun pong jachbogh nuv'e' toDlu'.
And this event occurs: the person who calls out the name of god will be
rescued.

22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of
God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the
midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:
'o Israel loDpu', mu'meyvam tIQoy;  tlhIH tlhopDaq wanI'mey Dun, maQmey je
ta'pu' Nazareth Jesusmo' Qun HoS lo'taHvIS 'e' boleghpu'mo'
ghaH naD Qunra' 'e' boSov.
O men of Israel, hear these words; As you have seen Nazareth's Jesus
accomplish wonderful events and signs in front of you, using gods power, you
know that your god commends him.

23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God,
ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
bota'pa' ta'meyIlj Sov Qun. ghaH'e' lInobta'bogh Qun botlhappu' 'ej
lujoy'pu' 'ej luHoHpu' ghopDu'raj mIgh:
Before you did it God knew your deeds. You took him, whom God gave you, and
your evil hands tortured and killed him.

24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was
not possible that he should be holden of it.
ghaH pepta' Qun,  Hegh 'oy' qIlta'DI',  'uchlaHbe'mo' Hegh.
God raised him, when he had cancelled death's pain, because death could not
hold him.

25 For David speaketh concerning him, I foresaw the Lord always before my
face, for he is on my right hand, that I should not be moved:
ghaH qeltaHvIS jatlhmo' David, <<qabwIj tlhopDaq reH Qun vIlegh,
jIHeghvIpbe'meH, jIH nIHDaq ratlhmo'.
David spoke considering him, "I always see god in front of my face, because
he always remains at my right in order that I do not fear death."

26 Therefore did my heart rejoice, and my tongue was glad; moreover also my
flesh shall rest in hope:
vaj wup tIqwIj 'ej QuchchoH jatwIj; 'ej tultaH porghwIj.
Thus my heart broke out in song and my tongue became happy; and my body
hopes on.

27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer
thine Holy One to see corruption.
ghe''orDaq qa'wI' DaratlhmoHbe'mo', 'ej ngImchoH quvwI'lI' 'e' Dachaw'Qo'
je.
You will not cause my spirit to remain in the realm of the dishonoured dead,
and you also refuse to permit your honourable one to putrify.

28 Thou hast made known to me the ways of life; thou shalt make me full of
joy with thy countenance.
jIHvaD yIn mIw DaSovmoHpu'; muQuchchoHmoHchu' qablIj.
You have made known to me the procedure of life; your face makes me become
fully happy.

29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David,
that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
loDpu', loDnI'pu' je, David voDleH vIqelchu'jaj. Heghpu' 'ej mollu'pu' je,
'ej DaHjaj nol qachHomDaj wIleghlaHtaH.
Men and brothers, let it be that I take Emperor David into full
consideration. He has died and been buried, and today we can still see his
grave hut.

30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to
him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise
up Christ to sit on his throne;
maQ leghwI' ghaHmo', ta' qempa' moj David 'e' 'Ipta' Qun 'e' Sov David.
As he was a seer of signs, David knew that god had vowed David would become
ancestor to an Emperor.

31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul
was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
Qun nab legh David, vaj Christ yInqa'ghach qel, jatlhDI', <<ghe''orDaq
lonbe'lu'pu'. nolDaq ngImchoHbe' lomDaj.>>
David sees God's plan, thus when he spoke he considered Christ's resumption
of life, saying, "He was not abandoned in the realm of the dishonoured dead.
His corpse did not putrify in the grave."

32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.
Jesusvam pepta' Qun 'e' wIleghpu' maH, Hoch.
We, all, have seen that God has raised this Jesus.

33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of
the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye
now see and hear.
vaj Qun nIHDaq numlu'pu'mo' 'ej ghaHvaD Qun qa' lay'ta'mo' Qun, nobvam
boleghbogh 'ej boQoybogh nobta'.
Thus having been promoted to the right of god, and because god had promised
him god's spirit, he had given the gift you see and hear.

34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The
LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,
QItu'Daq Salbe'pu' David, 'a jatlhtaH, <<joHwI'vaD jatlh Qun, jIH nIHDaq
yIba'choH,
David did not ascend to paradise, but went on saying, "god said to my lord,
sit down at my right,

35 Until I make thy foes thy footstool.>>
DaSmeyraj bIngDaq jaghpu'ra'DabeQmoHchu'jaj
Let it be that you flatten your enemies under your boots.
[Forgive me a small diversion from the text. Klingons don't seem to have
footstools and this is an allusion to a famous Klingon song]

36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made
that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
vaj Jesus'e' bojoy'chu'ta'bogh numpu' Qun 'e' Sovchu'jaj Israel tuq Hoch.
joH'a', toDwI''a' je ghaH.
Thus let it be that the whole house of Israel knows full well that God
promoted the Jesus whom you fully tortured. He is the Lord and Saviour.

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto
Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
SoQvam'e' luQoyDI', reghchoH tIqDu'chaj, 'ej PetervaD, latlh Duy'a'pu'vaD je
jatlh, loDpu' loDnI'pu' je, nuq wIta'?
Hearing this speech, their hearts began to bleed, and to Peter and the other
ambassadors said, "Men and brothers, what do we do?"

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in
the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the
gift of the Holy Ghost.
ghIq chaHvaD jatlh Peter, peyemHa', 'ej Suyempu' net lIjmeH, Jesus Christ
pongvaD, bIQDaq Qun yIlaj. vaj Qun qa' nob boHev.
And then Peter said to them, undo your sins, and so that your sins be
forgotten, for the name of Jesus Christ accept God in the water.  Thus you
will receive god's spirit.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are
afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
tlhIHvaD puqpu'ra'vaD HopwI'pu'vaD je lay' Qun. ghaHvaD Hoch rIt Qun.
God promises to you and your children and the distant ones. God summons
everyone to him.

40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save
yourselves from this untoward generation.
ponmeH 'ej qoy'meH latlh mu' law' lo'. jatlh, <<SutoD'eghmeH puq poHvam qal
yIlajHa'.>>
He used many additional words to persuade and plead. He said, "Reject this
corrupt generation in order to save yourselves."

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day
there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
bIQDaq Qun lulaj mu'meyDaj Hevqangchu'wI'pu'; jajvetlh chaHvaD wej SaD
qa'pu' luchellu'pu'.
Those who were fully willing to receive his words accepted god in the water;
that day three thousand souls were added to them.

42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship,
and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
'ej Duy'a'pu' paQDI'norgh, tIgh je pabchu'. tIr ngogh lughor 'ej QunvaD
jatlh.
And they perfectly followed the ambassadors' teachings and customs. They
broke bread and spoke to God.

43 And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by
the apostles.
'ej vuvchoH Hoch qa': 'ej Dunbogh ta'mey law' ta' Duy'a'pu'.
And every soul came to respect; and the ambassadors accomplished many
wondrous deeds.

44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;
'ej tay'taH HarwI'pu' 'ej Dochmey wavchu'.
And the believers stayed together and divided things completely.

45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as
every man had need.
Dochmeychaj ngev 'ej Hoch loDpu'vaD nob, ghajnISDI' loD.
They sold their things and gave them to each man, when a man needed to have
them.

46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking
bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness
of heart,
'ej Hoch jaj chIrghDaq ghom chaH; juHmeychajDaq tIr ngogh lughor 'ej
Ha'DIbaHchaj luSop, QuchtaHvIS tIqDu'chaj 'ej vuvtaHvIS.
And each day they met in the temple; they broke bread in their homes; and
they ate their meat, their hearts happy and respecting.

47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added
to the church daily such as should be saved.
Qun lunaD 'ej chaH parHa' nuvpu'. 'ej Hoch jaj ghomchajDaq nuvpu'
toDlu'lI'bogh chel Qun.
They commended god and people liked them. And each day god added people who
were being rescued, into their group.